Sample Budget Narrative Template
Salaries and Wages- Senior Personnel
The Principal Investigator, Dr. xxxx, will devote XXX summer and XXX academic months per year toward the project. He will be responsible for overall project management and xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx..
- Salaries and Wages- Other Personnel
Funding for one full time graduate student is requested. He or she will work 1300 hours per year, per established University policy. The student will work on tasks assigned by the PI related to the area of X as described in the project narrative.
Funding for xxx undergraduate student(s) during the summer and academic year is requested. The undergraduates will work on specific tasks related to the proposed research under the supervision of the PI and/or graduate student.
- Fringe Benefits
Fringe Benefits are calculated as direct costs in accordance with SUU University's Indirect Cost Rate Agreement with the Department of Health and Human Services. Full University benefits are charged on the PI's academic year salary. Fringe benefits associated with summer salary is calculated at 22%. Retirement and statutory fringe benefits (FICA) are included in the fringe benefits charged on the PI summer salary. Benefits associated with undergraduate student's summer salary amounts, in accordance with standard University practice include FICA/Social Security charged at 7.65%.
- Permanent Equipment
A total of $xxxx is requested to purchase the following items of equipment. This equipment is needed for the specific purpose(s) of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
- Domestic Travels
A total of $3,000/year is requested for the PI and/or students to attend two-three annual technical conferences related to the proposed research. It is estimated that one trip per person will cost $1,000 and includes costs for airfare, hotel/meals, registration, and incidentals for an average three day trip. (note some agencies require more specific detail).
- Foreign Travel
A total of $2,500/year is requested for the PI to attend one international technical conference related to the research topic. Costs include domestic and international airfare, ground transportation, hotel/meals for a five day conference, and other conference incidentals. (note some agencies require more specific detail).
- Participant Support Costs
This category is used only for workshop and seminar cost categories if your proposal includes such a component. (note: contact the DOR for assistance)
- Other Direct Costs
- Materials and Supplies: A total of $xxx per year is requested for research materials, supplies and consumables needed to carry out the proposed research. Such supplies might include items like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
- Publication Costs/Documentation/Dissemination: A total of $1,000/year is requested for page charges and/or reprints in refereed journals related to the proposed research, such as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
- Consultant Services: A total of $xxxxxxx per year is requested for consultant services of xxxxxxxxxxxxx from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. These costs include a daily consultant rate of $xxxxxxxxx for xxxx days for the purpose of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
- Computer Services: NOT APPLICABLE AT SUU
- Subcontracts: A total of $xxxxxxxxx per year is requested for a subcontract to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. (note a formal detailed budget including associated F&Ais required for any subcontractor before the proposal will be submitted).
- Communications/Postage: A total of $500/year is requested for phone, postage, fax, etc. costs.
- Miscellaneous: A total of $100/year is requested for various miscellaneous costs that might arise during the life of the project.
- Equipment Time: A total of $300/year is requested for use of SUU's NMR facilities at an established first hour rate of $20 and $10/year thereafter.
- Indirect Costs
Indirect Costs are calculated in accordance with SUU University's Indirect Cost Rate Agreement with the Department of Health and Human Services. Currently, SUU is using a rate of 43% of salary, wages & benefits per DHHS Agreement dated 07/01/09. If any rate other than the appropriate negotiated rate is applied to a project due to published program restrictions or sponsor policy, all unrecovered indirect costs are designated as cost sharing by SUU. SUU's threshold for equipment is now $3,000.