Processing Reimbursements for Recruiting Costs
When a department interviews candidates for a faculty position, the Provost's office will support this search by covering a portion of the costs incurred (for example, travel, lodging or meals). The guidelines are as follows (unless multiple positions will be filled through one search):
- The Provost will reimburse a department $1500 per position.
- Reimbursement MUST be accompanied by receipts.
- Reimbursement will be charged to the FREC account.
Check Requisition Option
If the candidate or a department individual paid "out of pocket," a Check Requisition needs to be completed by the respective department.
- You can create a separate check requisition for each candidate interviewed, however, the total amount reimbursed by the Provost's office per position cannot exceed $1500.
- You can reimburse the candidate, or
- You can reimburse a SUU faculty/staff member who paid out of pocket for interviewing costs.
Attached is a sample of a completed Check Requisition. Note that we need the following info:
- Address: If you are reimbursing an SUU faculty/staff member, write CAMPUS and a check will be held for them at the Cashier's Office. If you are reimbursing the candidate directly, please write their mailing address.
- SSN or T# - we need one of these listed on this requisition (for the payee)
- Explanation: Reimbursement for interviewing NAME OF CANDIDATE for the TITLE OF THE POSITION. (We need this information in order to track spending in this account.)
- Amount: This can be up to $1,500 per position
- Index code: FREC
- Dept Name: Department initiating the check requisition
- Authorized by: Need signature of individual completing the form
- Dean or Dept Head: Need a signature
- Send this completed form to the Provost's Office (along with the receipts). We will review and sign and then forward to accounts payable. Once it is received there, on average, it takes 3 business days to process.
Sample Check Requisition
Expenditure Transfer Request Option
If interviewing costs were charged to a department's Purchasing Card, you will instead need to complete an Expenditure Transfer Request form. (This form can be found on the SUU Controller's Office website: http://suu.edu/ad/controller/pdf/exp_inst.pdf). The request must be accompanied by a copy of receipts for the transaction. A completed sample is attached.
Guidelines are as follows:
- Purchase Order Number: P-Card Transaction
- Date: Date of initial transaction
- Check Request Number: leave blank
- Vendor: Company paid on P-Card
- Amount to be transferred: dollar amount
- From Account: list fund/org/ acct/prog for dept initially charged
- To Account: 000100-10160-7510-40
- I request the expenditure transfer because: These monies were initially purchased using the departmental Purchase Card. Expenses have been authorized to be charged to Provost FREC account. (Candidate: NAME Position: NEW HIRE TITLE)
- Sent from: signature of person who created the form
- Date Sent: complete
Sample Expenditure Transfer Request
Travel Authorization/Reimbursement Option
If you would like to reimburse an SUU employee who helped transport a faculty candidate (for example, drive the candidate to St. George to catch the shuttle; 100 miles at .39 @ mile), you can submit a Travel Authorization form prior to/or along with a completed Travel Reimbursement form. (FYI: If you process the Travel Authorization form prior to travel time, the driver is protected by SUU insurance in the event of an accident). Please see attached completed Travel Authorization Form and Travel Reimbursement Form.
Forward completed form (and copy of receipts) to the Provost office.
Sample Travel Authorization
If you have any questions on this process, please call Kelly King at ext. 7704 for assistance.