Annual Cardboard Boat Races
Date: Thursday, September 27, 2012
Races: Begin at 1pm
Where: J.L. Sorenson P.E. Building swimming pool
Public is invited!!!
Open to all SUU students, Faculty, & Staff. Participants must be EITHER 1) students enrolled at SUU, 2) SUU Faculty or Staff. If one of the above conditions is NOT met, you will not be allowed to participate.
- Boat must carry 2 adult passengers.
- No more than 2 adult passengers will be allowed.
- Boat must be made of 1/8 inch wafer type cardboard (typical cardboard box material) and duct tape only. No concrete form material (sona tubes).
- No use of fasteners, sealers or any other materials will be allowed.
- Boat must be no longer than 6 feet and no wider than 3 feet.
- Hand paddling only. Use of feet in the water to kick will result in disqualification.
- No paddles of any kind allowed. No taping of hands.
- All cardboard must be covered with duct tape. No exposed cardboard inside or outside of boat. Exposed cardboard will result in not being able to race.
- All participants are required to remove the remains of their boat from the premises immediately after their race. Boats are not to be left in the water to see how long they will float.
- Do not leave your boat for someone else to throw in the dumpster.
- No "recreational" swimming is allowed once the race is over.
- Participants who have been disqualified are to remove their boats from the water immediately upon being notified of disqualification.
Participants are to get out of the pool immediately after completion of the race and carry their boat from the premises.
Racers are to arrange for disposal of their boat prior to race day. No boat construction or modification of any kind will be allowed at the pool. Construction or modification to any boat at the pool will result in disqualification.
Race will start from the deep end of the pool. Boats are to be placed in between each of the starting blocks. If enough boats are present, multiple heats will be run. Participants will set their boats in the water once the whistle blows and board. Participants are to hand paddle only down to the shallow end, touch the side of the pool and return to finish at the deep end. Only one person needs to touch the side of the pool at the shallow end. Participants who fail to touch the side of the pool at the shallow end will be disqualified. Participants are not allowed to travel down the side of the pool using the edge of the pool to propel the boat. Using the edge of the pool to propel the boat will result in disqualification. Only participants are allowed behind the start blocks. All other people must stand on the side of the pool or down at the shallow end.
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place.
Hope to see you there!
*Participants waive their right to sue due to drowning. Participate at your own risk.