Tuesday May 28th - Friday May 31st, 2013
351 West University Blvd.
Cedar City, UT 84720
Students, ages 15-18, in the southwestern region of the United States who are interested in engineering, technology, or computer science are invited to come to Southern Utah University for an Engineering and Technology Summer Camp. Students will experience “college life” by staying in the dormitories, eating in the cafeteria and learning through hands-on experiences in the field of their choice. It will be a great opportunity to get advanced experience in the field and make new friends. Register today to attend this camp!
The actual cost per student for participation in this camp is over $700, but because of generous support from other sources we are able to make it available to you for $175.00, which includes meals and housing.
- Read the course descriptions below and determine which one “track” suites your interests best.
- Click on the “Registration” link below and complete the form, the last question will ask you which “track” you want to attend. A non-refundable deposit of $50 is due by April 30, 2013. Full registration fee of $175.00 must be received before May 15, 2013.
Registration | Schedule | Campus Maps | Housing | Dining
Computer Science Department Chair, Associate Professor
Phone: (435) 865-8560
Fax: (435) 865-8444
Office: ELC 305
Engineering Technology Department Chair, Associate Professor
Phone: (435) 586-7984
Fax: (435) 865-8077
Office: TH 129A
Integrated Engineering Department Chair, Associate Professor
Phone: (435) 586-7989
Office: TH 129B
Construction Engineering Technology Professional in Residence
Phone: (435) 865-8115
Fax: (435) 865-8077
Office: TH 124
Electronics Engineering Technology/Mathematics Lecturer
Phone: (435) 865-8253
Office: TH 132
CAD/CAM Engineering Technology Adjunct Faculty
Phone: (435) 586-7977
Computer Science Track
The Computer Science track will be covering how to create Apps using curriculum from MIT.
Engineering Technology Track
The Electronics Engineering Technology track will introduce students to a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor Software.
Integrated Engineering Track
For the Integrated Engineering segment of summer camp, we will study catapults.
Lectures will include:
- Dynamics - Trajectories of particles, angular momentum, and energy methods.
- Materials - Heat treatment of steel to anneal and then quench and temper to make a spring.
- Design - Requirements definition, brainstorming, and application of constraints and modeling to achieve an optimal design configuration.
The students will design and build catapults and compare their performance with predictions.
Construction Engineering Technology Track
Title: Sustainable Energy and Building Solutions for Living Environments
- Solar Panels and Electrical Systems
- Engineering Technology Teamwork
- Protecting your innovations
- Vertical Decorative Concrete Solutions
- Solar Panels and Electrical Systems – The students will build a working solar panel including: soldering photo-voltaic polycrystalline cells into panel form, build the panels, and learn the basics about energy systems designed for standard and sustainable housing.
- Engineering Technology Teamwork – Engineering design and Problem solving competitions and discussions will help students understand how to develop a winning system for innovation.
- Protecting your innovations – When innovation has possible financial returns, there are a few basic rules of documentation that need to be followed. The instructor has current US patents in place and will be speaking from experience.
- Vertical Decorative Concrete Solutions – Students will learn trade secrets used by major theme parks for creating trees and other popular landscape features out of lightweight concrete. The students will design and build a realistic looking concrete tree trunk.