Center for Women and Families

The Child Care Grant or "CCAMPIS" Grant

The Center for Women and Families received a $139,129 grant in October 2013 to help SUU students with young families subsidize their child care costs. The average cost for full-time child care in Cedar City totals from $500 -600 per month per child. This is the second four-year cycle grant to be funded for the child care subsidy scholarships at SUU. The grant, called CCAMPIS -- Child Care Assistance means Parents In School – is designed to help students with young children to complete their academic programs of study. With the grant in place, eligible parents may receive a subsidy in the form of a scholarship which covers a percentage of their day care costs. The parents’ subsidy amount is based on a sliding scale that takes into account their Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and the number of credits they are currently taking at the University. Total resources available in the grant are also considered. Other factors do contribute but are not as substantial. Parents in return are asked to:

  • volunteer four (4) hours per month at their family’s childcare facility or another facility that is preapproved by the CWF Director,
  • remain in good financial standing with their childcare facility,
  • participate at least two (2) hours per month in a parent education workshop, a family centered activity with their child (or children) or in a program offered by the Center for Women and Families,
  • maintain a 2.3 GPA or better for continued eligibility next academic year.

If you are interested in participating in this grant please download an application and return it to the Center for Women and Families before the deadline. If you are currently participating in the grant and wish to continue next semester, download the 980 form only, complete it with your childcare provider and return it to CWF.

Applications and Downloads

The Grant is not awarded on a first-come-first serve basis. To determine eligibility to be enrolled in the grant, the application which includes the 980 form needs to be filled out completely and returned to the Center for Women and Families before the deadline for the next semester. The parent first selects a childcare provider. This facility or individual provider must be state licensed. Next, the parent fills out the application which is four (4) pages long, but easy to complete, and the 980 form (which is the last page of the application) is to be completed by the parent(s) and the selected childcare provider. Parents state how many hours of childcare they need for the months of the semester on the 980 form and the provider records the total amount owed each month. The completed application is reviewed and if parents are eligible for this scholarship, the grant will cover a portion of the total cost of daycare each month.

  • Spring 2015 -- Deadline for Spring, 2015 is December 29, 2014 -- individuals will be notified the first week of school during Spring Semester by email if they have been accepted into the program.  If you are a new applicant complete the full application. If you are currently participating in the grant and wish to continue in the Spring term, complete only the 980 form.

Volunteer Time Sheets - Parents accepted into the program are expected to complete four (4) hours a month of volunteer time at the child's care provider and two (2) hours of parent education and/or family programming per month.  You and the childcare provider record the volunteer time on this sheet  and you as the parent record the parent education or family programming time on the same sheet.  Return the completed document in person, by fax or email to the Center for Women and Families immediately after the 20th of each month.

Finding Child Care Providers

CCAMPIS Ready Providers - these of a list of providers that we have already worked will in the past that you are welcome to look into. If there is a provider that you like which is not on this list, we can work with them as well as long as they are 1) a licensed child care provider (not a family member or friend) and 2) offer some type of educational portion to their serves.

ALSO, Child Care Resource and Referral Line can help you get information about childcare providers in Southern Utah or get advice on how to pick a childcare center that is right for you and your family just call at 1-888-344-4896.

Info for Child Care Providers

To become a part of the CCAMPIS (Child Care Access Means Parents In School) Grant through the Southern Utah University's Center for Women and Families, we need to know a few things about you first...

  1. Are you a licensed childcare provider (and not a family member or friend)?
  2. And do you offer an education piece to your services?

If you answered yes to both of these questions then we would love to have you as a part of this program! Before we can put you on our referral list and/or start paying a portion of a student's/parent's childcare costs, we will need from you...

  1. A copy of your license
  2. The top page of the IRS W9 form, filled out and returned to the Center

You can return the copy and form to the Center for Women and Families a few different ways: By faxing them to 435-865-8777 or mailing them to Center for Women and Families, 351 West University Blvd, Cedar City, UT, 84720 OR the simplest way is to have a student/parent return them for you. Please remember before checks can go out, even if a student/parent has been accepted to the grant program, that the W9 form and a copy of your license needs to be returned to the Center.

Please feel free to read over the following packet of information to get to know the grant better and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact Georgia B. Thompson at the Center for Women and Families.

Getting to Know the CCAMPIS Program - this is a downloadable document that can answer all your questions about the CCAMPIS grant and how it will work with your business.

IRS W9 FORM - This IRS Form is required by the Southern Utah University Payroll office before any checks can be printed or release to the child care provider. Even if a student has been accepted into the program, no funds can be send out until this paperwork is in.