To teach in Utah, students must have a Level I license inscribed with the proper major and grade level. SUU offers courses leading to the following Licenses:
- Early Childhood Education License (licensure grades K-3 only)
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education and completion of 16 semester credit hours. Two blocks of Student Teaching are required (one in a kindergarten and one in a primary grade 1-3, if placement is available).
- Elementary Teaching License
Valid in grades 1-8. Bachelor’s degree with an Elementary Education Major and one area of concentration is required. To teach outside of core classes in grades 7 and 8, a Secondary Teaching minor is required. Coursework must include two blocks of student teaching (one in grades 1-3 and the other in grades 4-6).
- Elementary License for a Secondary School Teacher
Students with academic training with a major/or in at least one subject taught in most elementary schools who would like to get an Elementary License, please consult the Education Advisor.
- Physical Education Endorsement (valid Grades 6-12)
- Secondary Teaching License for an Elementary Teacher
Must complete a teaching major or composite major in subjects taught in secondary schools and approved by the Utah State Board of Education
Complete 6 hours of professional coursework in Secondary Education, plus
Academic 4900, SCED 3720, SCED 4520, SCED 4980
- Secondary Teaching License (Valid grades 6-12)
Students must complete teaching major or a composite teaching major in one or more of the University’s academic colleges.
Professional education coursework, Student teaching
- Family and Consumer Science Licensure (This program is not being offered at this time)
- Special Education Mild/Moderate License
Bachelor’s Degree and Special Education Mild/Moderate Resource major are required with Licensure in either Elementary or Secondary
Permits the holder to teach mildly and moderately handicapped students with intellectual or behavioral handicaps or learning disabilities
- Teacher Education
- Family Life & Human Development
- Graduate Studies
- Physical Education & Human Performance