Request a Canvas Course Shell
Department and Staff Organizations
SUU departments and Staff organizations wanting to use Canvas for non-course use are to contact the ITS directly.
Enter the course for which you would like a Canvas shell created. Required items are indicated with asterisks '*'.
Due to the large volume, Course Shell Requests are only processed via this form.
- CRN numbers are required for shell creation of all offered courses. Requests without or with incorrect CRN's will not be filled. Staff/Organizations requesting a shell must enter "STAFF" in the CRN field.
- If you want to request more than one course shell, you will need to submit the form multiple times, each time with new information for each course section.
- If you have another course/section that will be using this same shell, such as an undergraduate/graduate combination or have multiple sections, please send those requests directly to the ITS (i.e. course number, section number, and CRN). You will still need to request each section/course separately on this form.
- Instructors are responsible for duplicating and preparing their own course content. [DYI Guide: http://help.suu.edu/imic/help/302/] Instructors inheriting courses (or needing copies of courses developed by other instructors) are asked to contact their Department Chair. Department Chairs should have the administrative access and training to duplicate courses into newly requested shells.
- Please indicate your "Delivery type" whether the shell will be a supplement to a traditional "face-to-face" classroom/lecture course, or if it is a distance education course. If you are wanting to combine a distance education section and a lecture section, select the SUU Online™ "Distance Ed" radio button.
- A Course Shell Request will need to be performed every semester, for every section that is offered through Canvas. Please indicate which semester and enter in the year your shell is being requested (i.e. your course will start in Spring 2012). Keep in mind that your requests cannot begin until you have received the assigned CRN from the Registrar's office. CRNs are never the same number for a course from one semester to the next. Generally you can start to submit your requests a week before the semester's registration begins.
- If you have more than one instructor teaching a course please contact the ITS.
- Please be patient in your Course Shell Request processing. Typically, shells are created shortly after the initial request. However, depending on server requests, submission times, and internet traffic a delay in processing may occur. You will get an emailed confirmation sent to you, please review it to ensure the information was entered in correctly. If not, please resubmit your request.
1:00 p. - 5:00 p.
Monday - Friday
RM 103-I, M & N
help with instructional tech.