Mission & Goals
CPVA Goals for 2005-06
- Successfully complete CPVA Academic Program Review
- Undertake a comprehensive internal and external reviewed as required by the policy.
- Identify areas that need change, improvement, or reorganization within the college.
- Integrate program review with overall plans for the CPVA and its departments, programs and affiliates.
- Develop detailed timetable for review
- Complete self-studies for each department (use NASD documents already prepared for Dance)
- Arrange for outside consultant to visit campus and assess the CPVA overall
- Coordinate review process with departments and issue final report
- Implement the Campus and Community Communication and Audience Development Plan
- Promote the arts and increase awareness and positive perceptions about CPVA’s contribution to campus and Cedar City
- Increase attendance at events
- Increase revenue from sales
- Provide support to departments for their programming
- Provide challenging learning environment for MFA students
- Develop overall recruitment plan for CPVA
- Develop specific recruitment plans for each department
- Increase number of majors in departments
- Coordinate plans with Admissions Office
- Use website for recruitment by creating prospective student section
- Post PowerPoint presentation “Overview of CPVA” to website
- Distribute new CPVA recruitment posters to high schools in the SW
- Distribute bookmarks and CPVA color brochure to prospective students
- Create CPVA table top and full size recruitment displays
- Redo department table top displays to tie in graphic look of CPVA
- Design smaller targeted mailers and web posting information for each department in support of their recruitment efforts
- Increase total number of CPVA majors to 460 or 8% above 04-05
- Coordinate admissions calendars with departments and assist Admissions Office with targeting arts students in music, art, drama and dance
- Plan specific recruitment activities in the arts (e.g. music department plans to hold a Woodwind Day in Northern Utah, Music students are participating in vocal performance workshops off campus to raise visibility of programs, and so forth.)
- Curriculum Development & Enrollment
- Develop and implement enrollment management plan for CPVA
- Continue to seek faculty and staff lines to better achieve our CPVA and department missions
- Clarify language requirement in theatre and dance
- Explore options for interdisciplinary courses or majors/minors with Communications and English Departments
- Assess options and develop plans for improving GE Fine Arts 1010 course enrollments
- Continue developing accrediting for all arts departments
- Monitor individual class enrollments and review with chairs curricular plans for semesters
- Meet with chairs to finalize BA/BS degree requirements relative to foreign languages
- Added faculty and staff needed in all areas to develop better quality educational programs
- Meet with chairs outside of CPVA to assess possibilities of establishing niche interdisciplinary programs in the arts and humanities (e.g. film, communication, creative writing, and so forth)
- Monitor 1010 enrollments and investigate new course offerings or course combinations to build enrollment in music and theatre. Also review the total number of GE fine arts courses being offered in CPVA.
- Continue working toward accrediting from NASAD, NAST for art and theatre. Complete NASM reaccrediting by 06-07.
- Faculty Development
- Continue working with Chairs to encourage and support faculty development projects and off campus presentations
- Convene a meeting of interested SUU faculty to explore how cooperative and collaborative projects can be developed in the future
- Provide adequate space and equipment for studio work and development replacement plan for musical instruments and related production equipment in Art and Theatre and Dance.
- Encourage faculty to provide lists of planned conference and off campus presentations planned for each year and to present budgets.
- Hold a meeting to see what collaborative projects CPVA faculty might be interested in pursuing with other SUU faculty. Look into possible collaborations with other university programs.
- Continue applying for remodeling funds to help with space needs in all departments. Seek funding for adequate equipment in the classrooms, laboratories and studios.
- Fundraising and Grants
- Continue to revise and update CPVA fundraising master plan
- Continue researching grant opportunities for CPVA faculty
- Apply for UAC funding for CPVA and community projects
- Work with Departments on specific fundraising initiatives
- Adjust and revise current planning document to reflect costs and programmatic needs
- Work with Sponsored Research Office to research and identify possible grants or fellowships for CPVA faculty
- Seeking funding for a new summer music series as well as seeking funds to rejuvenate the American Folk Ballet.
- Provide marketing and logistical support music and theatre scholarship fundraisers each year.
- Assess how Friends of Braithwaite could help fund one or two scholarships in the department of Art & Design.
- Alumni Relations
- Develop active connections with alumni to assist current students with career opportunities
- Assist SUU Alumni Office with specific projects such as speaking to Chapters
- Expand the CPVA website Alumni portal
- Work with departments and Alumni Office to identify a key alumni who can be of assistance to our students
- Work out schedule for dean to speak and present at alumni chapters
- Continue to improve features on the CPVA website for alumni
- Strengthen support of the Braithwaite Fine Arts Gallery through the Dean's Office and MFA Program
- Continue active participation is USF Strategic Planning and Organizational Development
- Promote and develop the SUU Halversen String Quartet
- Develop summer programming options for American Folk Ballet
- Meet on a regular basis with gallery director and grad assistant to plan and execute a year-round exhibition schedule
- Provide coordinated administrative support from dean’s office for gallery and Friends
- Develop marketing materials, contracts and booking schedule for this professional faculty ensemble
- Work closely with the USF staff, BOG, and SUU administration to develop long range programmatic, leadership, and financial plans for the Utah Shakespearean Festival
- Student Initiatives
- Continue developing creative projects with CPVA Student Senators in support of student activities
- Develop and present a plan for increasing the current activity fee in support of music and theatre and dance events on campus
- Meet with student senators to establish year long plan for activities that will be seeking support from SUUSA - art & design, music, theatre & dance and MFA
- Seek increase in student activity fees in the arts: Increase to cover the current fee verses the cost of a ticket.
- Theatre & Dance ticket list price is $10. Students pay $5. Current fee only covers $3 at $1.50 per semester. Increase by $1 per semester to $2 per year.
- Music ticket price is $8. Students pay $4. Current fee only covers $2. Increase by $1 per semester or $2 per year.
- Assess possibility of student fee toward supporting the Braithwaite Gallery, which has free admission. Consider $0.50 per semester or $1.00 per year.