Theatre Arts Major - BS or BA Degree
The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in Theatre Arts offer students the opportunity to study the extensive art of theatre within a liberal arts curriculum. The courses are carefully designed to give students a broad understanding of the discipline as well as various concentrations in different focus areas dependent on the needs of the student.
A student may choose to emphasize in one of two areas: Acting/Directing Emphasis or Design/Tech Emphasis. Once an emphasis is chosen, the student will work closely with their departmental advisor to determine one or more focus areas for a more individualized plan of study. Focus areas include: acting, directing, design, management, education and technical theatre. This allows great flexibility to develop and enhance a student’s strengths in addition to providing essential foundations and skills necessary for a fuller intellectual grasp of the art form.
The Department of Theatre Arts and Dance also offers Secondary Teaching Licensure in collaboration with SUU’s nationally accredited College of Education. Many of our graduates are currently teaching in public school systems all over the nation.
Students receiving a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science find that such a broad understanding of the discipline allows them to choose many different paths to further their careers as theatre artists. Many pursue graduate studies, careers in theatre education (secondary and higher education), entry level positions in professional and non-professional theatre companies, professional performing careers and arts management.
SUU’s Department of Theatre and Dance prides itself in offering unique opportunities to students not always found in general Theatre Arts degree programs. We hire gifted professionals as faculty and guest artists from around the country to provide specialized training in Shakespeare, Classical Acting, Musical Theatre, Advanced Design and Technical Direction, just to name a few. Our students have the opportunity to do it all. They create, design, direct and perform.
Program Requirement Worksheets
- 2009-2011 BA-BS in Theatre Arts - Acting Focus
- 2009-2011 BA-BS in Theatre Arts - Directing Focus
- 2009-2011 BA-BS in Theatre Arts - Design Focus
- 2009-2011 BA-BS in Theatre Arts - Secondary Theatre Education
- 2010-2011 BA or BS in Theatre Arts - Acting Focus
- 2010-2011 BA or BS in Theatre Arts - Directing Focus
- 2010-2011 BA or BS in Theatre Arts - Design Focus
- 2010-2011 BA or BS in Theatre Arts - Technical Focus
- 2010-2011 BA or BS in Theatre Arts - Secondary Theatre Ed
- 2010-2011 BA or BS in Theatre Arts - Secondary Theatre Ed - changes to online catalog
- 2011 Theatre Planner
2013-2014 BA-BS Theatre Planner