The following is a list of rules and guidelines that must be adhered to. Following these guidelines will ensure that your classes are certified to the VA without error, that you will receive your VA funds in a timely manner, and will mitigate the chances that you will incur a debt with the VA.
All veterans receiving the GI Bill Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 need to contact the VA Regional Processing Office (RPO) each month and verify that they are attending school. This should be done no sooner than the last day of each month of attendance. Call via the IVR 1-877-823-2378, verify online at W.A.V.E. (https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do), or call the RPO at 1-888-442-4551.
- GI Bill Chapters 35, 31, and 33 (Post-9/11) do not need to verify enrollment monthly.
- To receive VA payments by Direct Deposit or to change Direct Deposit information call 1-877-838-2778 or 1-888-442-4551 to speak with the VA RPO.
First-time applicants must complete the appropriate paperwork to initiate their benefit.
- First-time applicants for GI Bill Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, and 33 (Post 9/11) must fill out a VA Form 22-1990 (http://suu.edu/ss/registrar/pdf/VAForm1990.pdf) “Application for VA Education Benefits.”
- First-time applicants for Chapter 35 (Survivor’s and Dependent’s Educational Assistance) must fill out a VA Form 22-5490 (http://suu.edu/ss/registrar/pdf/22-5490.pdf).
- First-time applicants for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) Dependents Using Transferred Benefits (TEB) must complete a VA Form 22-1990E (http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990e-ARE.pdf) “Application (to use) Transferring Entitlement (TOE) Benefits.”
- These forms may be completed online at www.gibill.va.gov and submitted electronically via VONAPP (Veterans Online Application website). Paper forms are also available in the SUU Veterans Services Office. These can be completed and submitted to the SUU VA Coordinator to mail to the VA RPO in Muskogee, OK.
Students who are transferring from another institution, or changing their degree program, must complete the appropriate paperwork to initiate their benefit.
- If you are transferring to SUU from another institution, or changing your degree program at SUU, and wish to continue using Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, or 33 (Post 9/11) benefits, complete a VA Form 22-1995 (http://suu.edu/ss/registrar/pdf/22-1995_001.pdf) and submit that form to the SUU Veterans Services Office.
- If you are transferring to SUU from another institution, or changing your degree program at SUU, and wish to continue using Chapter 35 benefits, complete a VA Form 22-5495 (http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5495-ARE.pdf) and submit that form to the SUU Veterans Services Office.
- If you are changing your Major/Minor or degree program at SUU, you must also complete a SUU Program of Study Change Form (http://suu.edu/ss/registrar/pdf/ProgramofStudyChangeForm.pdf) and submit that form to the SUU Veterans Services Office.
The student must fill out a SUU Veterans Certification Form (http://suu.edu/ss/registrar/pdf/VeteransCertificationForm.pdf) after registering for courses each semester. This form must be submitted to the SUU Veterans Services Office in order to initiate benefits for that semester.
IMPORTANT – Any changes to your class schedule (adding or dropping classes, change of major, etc.) must be reported to the SUU VA Coordinator immediately. Failure to notify the SUU VA Coordinator may result in an “overpayment” debt with the VA.