Faculty Relocation Assistance Guidelines
This document provides guidelines for relocation assistance to new academic employees
- SUU may reimburse eligible moving expenses to prospective academic employees when the hiring department believes such an offer is a critical factor in securing a highly qualified applicant for a faculty or administrative position. In determining appropriate reimbursement, the department should consider factors such as unusual qualifications and/or needs of the applicant, competitiveness of the applicable job market, budget available and estimated relocation costs.
- The hiring dean will negotiate with the new employee and determine an agreeable reimbursement plan in writing prior to the time the move takes place. The hiring dean is responsible for covering the amount of the reimbursement. Reimbursements may be made by check requisition, and the check requisition must be signed by the Provost. Reimbursement for moving expenses is not to be made by paying salary to the employee for time before he or she actually begins employment with the University.
- Relocation expenses may be reimbursed to the employee by the University for items such as:
- The cost of moving ordinary and customary personal and household goods, including insurance provided by the moving firm for packing, shipping, and insuring.
- Mileage allowance for the employee and/or family to move to the new location.
- The cost of lodging and food for the employee and immediate family during the relocation trip.
- The costs associated with a trip to locate new housing.
- The amount of reimbursement will meet the following parameters:
- The college/school will cover the base reimbursement (initial: $1,000).
- Expenses will be reimbursed based on submitted original receipts.
- Supplementing the base reimbursement will be a distance factor covered by the Provost's office. Individual circumstances may be considered in the supplemental decision.
- The maximum reimbursement will be $3,000 for faculty and $6,000 for academic administrators (e.g., department chairs, academic directors, deans, etc.)