Office of Learning Abroad

international exchange students at SUUInternational Exchange & Study Abroad Students

Application & Visa Procedures

Fall application deadline: March 15
Spring application deadline: October 15 

The very first thing you should do if you wish to study at Southern Utah University is to CONTACT YOUR INTERNATIONAL OFFICE.  They can help get you started with the process, including approval from your home university, and will contact us to let us know of your interest.

After this, you will need to send us your application materials. In order for your application to be considered complete, and for us to issue you the documents needed to obtain your J-1 student visa, we will need all of the following:

  • Exchange application form Make sure you select the correct semesters for your exchange. If you are coming for FALL AND SPRING, HOLD THE CTRL BUTTON on your keyboard while clicking on both semesters in order to select them.
  • Pay the $60 admission application fee. Send copy of your receipt with your application documents
  • Transcripts
  • A copy of the student's passport
  • Housing application form. Please note: The Housing office will do their best to assign you to your first choice, but it is not guaranteed. Housing is very limited, so please plan to be flexible with your accommodation assignment. Single rooms are especially limited.
  • Pay the $50 housing application fee
  • Verification of English Language Proficiency OR a sufficient TOEFL, IELTS, or iTEP score
    • TOEFL: A minimum score of 525 on the paper based test, 197 on the computer based test or 71 on the internet based test
    • IELTS: A minimum score of 6.0
    • iTEP: A minimum score of 4.1
  • Proof of financial support (bank statement) indicating that you have the necessary funds for studying at SUU. The amounts are:
    Exchange Student: $4,000/semester
    Fee-paying Study Abroad Student: $7,000/semester
    If you have a family member or other sponsor helping with finances, please have them complete the Sponsor Certification Form.
  • Immunization records or a completed Proof of Immunization
  • Students from certain countries will be required to take a TB test when they arrive at SUU.  The Cedar City health department will come to campus to administer these tests, and students are responsible for paying for them. The test costs between $75-$150.  Students who are not current on their MMR vaccine will also be required to receive that vaccination when they arrive at SUU and will be responsible for paying for the vaccination.
  • Proof of health insurance, valid in the United States.  If you don’t have one, the ISO Compass Silver plan meets the requirements.
  • A completed learning agreement of the classes you wish to take at SUU approved by your university.  You must be enrolled for at least 12 SUU credits during the semester. Note: Unless you have been admitted to an SUU Master's program, you must select classes with course numbers below 5000.

You can email these documents to Tessa Douglas at, in order to expedite the process, then ALSO send them via mail to:

Office of Learning Abroad
Southern Utah University
351 W. University Blvd.
Cedar City, UT 84720

After we receive the items listed above, we will issue you your J-1 visa documents.  We will send them by regular mail unless you request them to be sent by FedEx, in which case there will be a $50 fee.

After we send your documents, you will need to contact your nearest American consulate/embassy through their website and pay the $100 SEVIS fee.  After that they will invite you for an interview and issue you your visa.  Your International Programs advisor may help you with this process.

When you send us the classes you wish to take, please list at least three extra and indicate which classes are top priority.  We will do our best to register you for the classes you most wish to take, but we cannot guarantee you a spot in all of them.  Some classes require pre-requisites in order for you to be able to take them, and others might be full.  We will let you know which classes we were able to register you for.