Permits for all activities controlled by the Fire Marshal’s office can be obtained by calling (435) 559-4602 or (435) 559-0489. Please be prepared to allow up to 48 hours advanced notice for any permit inspection/request.
The following is a list of activities currently requiring a permit from the SUU Fire Marshal’s Office:
- Hotworks: Any welding, soldering, torch cutting inside or on any SUU buildings.
- Pyrotechnics: Any outside/inside pyrotechnic display requires a permit from the Cedar City Fire Marshal, proof of insurance, and approval of the SUU Fire Marshal’s office. No club or organization affiliated with SUU shall be allowed to have bonfires on or off campus. No open flame demonstrations are permitted inside of any structure, such as fire dancing.
- Theatrical fog/haze machines: Any machine that creates theatrical smog/haze for theatrical performances shall be inspected and approved by SUU Fire Marshal’s office prior to any performance/use.
- Theatrical Props: Any theatrical props using candles, torches, or flash paper shall be approved by the SUU Fire Marshal’s office.
- Events: Any major concert, dance, or club event altering egress of a building shall be approved prior to event.
- Candles: Candles, candle warmers, scented plug in devices shall not be used in any structure.
- Christmas trees: Live Christmas trees are prohibited in any structure.
- Space Heaters: The first thing that should take place if heat is not sufficient to maintain a comfortable working temperature in your work area is to let Facilities Management know that there is a problem by submitting a work order or by calling 435-865-8690. If they cannot resolve the problem, the use of a space heater is allowable; however, they need to be approved through campus Safety and Risk Management and meet the Utah Administrative Code R23-19-4-5 by meeting the following requirements:
The space heater shall:
1. not exceed 1500 watts at its highest setting;
2. be equipped with a self-limiting element temperature setting for the ceramic elements;
3. have a tip-over safety device;
4. be equipped with a built-in timer not to exceed eight hours per setting;
5. be equipped with a programmable thermostat; and
6. be equipped with an overheat protection feature.