Bid Process and Requirements
The bidding process is implemented, when appropriate, by the Purchasing Department. The bid process is used in order to obtain the greatest benefit to the University when acquiring goods or services.
When the bid process is necessary, at least three sources must be contacted, providing that adequate sources exist. Departments are welcome to indicate suggested sources if appropriate. The Purchasing Department may include additional sources.
Prior to the initiation of the bid process, the requesting department will submit detailed specifications for the desired product or service to the Purchasing Department. Please remember that the specifications must describe everything used to evaluate the quotations.
Bidding Dollar Amount Guidelines
1. Purchases from $1 - $5,000
- Bids are not required, but prudent and competitive business practices are encouraged.
2. Purchases from $5,001 - $50,000
- Purchasing Department is required to send out bid documents. Bids must be in writing from the vendor, oral bids not accepted. Bids must be obtained from at least three vendors.
3. Purchases $50,000 and over
- Purchasing Department is required to send out bid documents. Bids must be publicized in a newspaper of local circulation in the area pertinent to the procurement or on the main website of the issuing procurement unit. Bids must be in writing and obtained from a least three vendors.
Bid Allotment Time
Bidding time is the period of time between the date the request for bid was issued and the date set for the bid opening. A minimum of 10 calendar days is the usual and reasonable bidding time. If necessary, the Director of Purchasing is authorized to shorten the bidding response time. Please advise the Purchasing Department of any time constraints for your particular purchase.