Four staff members were able to attended UHESA Day at the Capitol (Jeb Branin, Barbara Rodriguez, Annette Murray, and Mark Barton, also pictured is student Ben Haider). We visited with MANY legislators during the day:
- We visited, again, with our area representatives, Tom Hatch, Mike Noel and Bud Bowman.
- We were able to visit with the Chair of the Senate Higher Education Appropriations committee
- We spoke with the Chair and committee members of the Higher Education Appropriations committee from the House of Representatives
- We also met with Dave Clark who serves on the Executive Appropriations Committee
- The UHESA members were able to visit with many other legislators from all areas of the state
The Higher Education Appropriations Committee reported that they were going to send on the recommendation to give a 3% increase and a 1% merit increase. However, they wanted to be sure that we understood that these were just recommendations.... the Executive Appropriations Committee then had the responsibility of taking all committee recommendations and prioritizing them. How things come out after that prioritization meeting will not be determined for several weeks.
All the legislators we talked to said they were supportive of our compensation requests. Let's keep our fingers crossed. We all hope we were successful in our lobbying efforts for all the staff of SUU. Any last minute letters to legislators will continue to keep Higher Education Staff on their minds!