SUU students & faculty have accrued approximately 3,000lbs of recyclable material weekly for nearly a year.
RecycleMania is an engaging competition introduced to colleges and universities across North America. Its aim is to promote waste reduction in a fun and competitive way to these campuses. Over an 8-week period each spring schools report the amount of recycling collected. Each week schools are ranked in numerous categories based on competitions focused on categories such as most recycled tonnage and best recycling rate (Judgments are deciphered on a per capita basis). Throughout the competition numbers are posted for participating schools. These results are often used to rally each campus to reduce and recycle.
National recognition is awarded to the winning schools in each category on RecycleMania.org and in a national press release. Winning schools receive awards and host the trophy from their respective category for a year.
Overall Goals for RecycleMania
Motivate students & staff to increase efforts & reduce waste generation.
Bring attention & support to campus recycling programs.
Benchmark recycling activity in efforts to improve campus programs over time.
Have a fun & friendly competition.
Earth Day at SUU
Friday, April 19, 2013 at Southern Utah Universities Business Quad
Cedar City, UT (April 19th 2013) “Make a Change” is the theme of the 2013 EARTH DAY, which takes place on April 19th 2:00-6:00PM on SUU’s Campus at the Business Quad (inclement weather site: SUU living room). We’ll have informational/vendor booths, games, crafts, and entertainment for all ages to enjoy!
This Earth Day Southern Utah University Center for Sustainability is encouraging you to make a change. Come enjoy our festivities, this sure to be an amazing event! Listen to music, watch belly dancers and visit Informational booths where various vendors will discuss ecological issues, engagement opportunities, campus and community efforts. Games and crafting will be available for all ages. A large paper drop off for documents to be securely shredded is going to be provided to all those in the area for the day. Recycling Drives: bring your mixed materials (plastics, metals, paper & cardboard) to be recycled. Giveaways will be awarded throughout the Celebration!
"This occasion is designed to educate, motivate and inspire individuals to live more Earth-friendly lives. What will you do? There is change on the horizon, as Global Citizens what can we do to get engaged, to make a change? There are many opportunities to make sound economic and ecological choices that coincide with our daily and long-term endeavors. I urge you to create avenues to develop and enhance a 'Green' community. Join us in celebrating at our event and seeing what can be accomplished when we work together," exclaims Denise Tomer, SUU's Sustainability Specialist.
To volunteer at our Earth Day Celebration on the Quad or host an informational booth or activity highlighting your business, club or organization (to share experiences and knowledge) contact Denise Tomer at:firstname.lastname@example.org 435-586-7717 or 435-586-7828. You can also visit www.suu.edu to find out about other events happening around Earth Day on our campus.
Ninth Annual Zion Canyon Earth Day Celebration
Saturday, April 20, 2013 at Bit and Spur Restaurant, 1212 Zion Park Boulevard, Springdale, Utah
SUU Recycling News
- PAPER COLLECTION: Way to go SUU! The numbers are in - you should be proud to know that in 2011, about 50,000 pounds of paper was recycled. That's 25 tons!
- RECYCLE MANIA 2012 - competition results: From January to March of Spring Semester, 15.85 tons of mixed material was diverted from the landfill. Great Job SUU! (Special thanks to Mosdell Sanitation and Southern Utah Recycling Enterprise for their combined efforts)
- E-waste Drive on Feb. 15th 2012 brought in 4867.1 pounds of electronics that Virgin Valley Recycling processed for us.
- WHAT CAN YOU RECYCLE??
- You can fill up your containers at various locations on campus now!
- Sharwan Smith Center (outside of the Outdoor Recreation Center)
- Physical Education Building (3rd floor by track)
- General Classrooms (basement by rest-rooms)
- New Science Building Addition (main floor by rest-rooms)
- Administration Building (2nd floor by entrance)
- More to come! Look for them around our campus and help reduce plastic water bottle use!