Types of Gifts

By giving to Southern Utah University, you have tremendous flexibility in determining how your gift will be used, as well as how the gift is made.

You may choose to restrict your gift to the designation (priority, project or program) of your choice. Or you may choose to give an unrestricted gift, which are among the most valuable to SUU because they allow the University to allocate funds wherever the need is greatest. As you consider making a gift to Southern Utah University, keep in mind that a gift may…

  • be undesignated and applied where the need is greatest.
  • be designated to a specific department or program.
  • be matched by a donor's employer.
  • be a current, outright gift of cash, securities, or personal property.
  • be pledged over a period of up to five years.
  • be a deferred gift in the form of a trust, insurance, a will, a life estate, or even the remainder of retirement benefits.
  • be made as a memorial.
  • be used to set up a permanent endowment in the name of the donor or someone else.
  • reduce the donor's tax liability.

In addition to the traditional gift of cash, there are other ways to make a contribution to SUU. These methods can provide significant tax savings beyond the normal charitable gift deduction. Consult with your accountant, attorney, banker, investment adviser, or University staff for specific information.

Make a Gift

More than ever, SUU needs the generous support of alumni and friends to fill the gap left behind in limited state funds. Annual gifts provide vital support to scholarships, library and laboratory resources, facilities, and more.

  • Existing Scholarship or Fund
    • Contribute any amount to an established fund.
  • Annual Scholarship Fund
    • Established with gifts of $1,000 or more.
    • Four-year commitment of similar gift is encouraged to fund student through schooling.
    • Not permanent, but opportunity to build a lasting relationship between donor and recipient.

Ranging from endowments that provide enduring support to major contributions that make an immediate impact, leadership gifts to a specific college or program provide an investment in the future success of SUU. Contact our staff to learn more about the needs in your area of interest.

  • Endowed Gifts
    • Permanent & perpetual.
    • Created with gifts of $40,000 or more (may be funded over a period of five years)
    • Principal of fund produces income on interest to cover the intention of the donor but the principal remains untouched.

Planned gifts may be customized to best served the donor’s needs, objectives and wishes, while helping to strengthen SUU’s future. Planned giving options include bequests, charitable remainder trusts, real estate, and life insurance.

Making a gift of cash is one of the simplest ways a person can support Southern Utah University. Unrestricted gifts provide the University with a pool of resources that can be distributed to support projects, programs and high-priority needs.
A gift of appreciated stocks or bonds, which have been owned for more than one year, entitles a donor to a full tax deduction for the market value of the securities. Capital gains taxes are avoided, thus allowing the donor to make a substantial gift to the University with minimal out-of-pocket expense.
A gift of real estate entitles a donor to the same tax benefits as a gift of securities, provided the property has been owned for more than a year.

Alumni and friends often are able to make a longer investment in the future of SUU than they thought possible through a deferred gift. Some deferred gifts will provide current income to the donor and a current tax deduction when the gift is established.

There are several ways to make a deferred gift:

  • Wills, bequests and trusts
  • Residual interest in a home or other property
  • Beneficiary assignment of an insurance policy
  • Charitable remainder or lead trusts
  • Charitable gift annuities
By supporting the college, department, or program of one's choice, the donor is providing funds for the dean and faculty to use as needed.
Numerous opportunities are available for people who are interested in honoring or memorializing loved ones.

Learn how to make a gift to the SUU Foundation in support of SUU.

  • Cash/Check/Credit Card
  • Payroll Deduction
  • Donor Advised Funds
  • Bank Wire Transfer for Stocks & Securities
  • Employer Matching Gifts
  • Planned Gifts
  • Memorial Gifts
  • Land & Mineral Rights
A donor might consider a gift-in-kind to the University, or a contribution other than cash, stocks, and bonds, provided the gift is applicable to the mission of the University.

As a member of the faculty or staff at Southern Utah University, you invest your time and talent in support of SUU and our students every day. Your tireless commitment, energy and work continue to elevate SUU’s reputation and our innovations in learning, student success and experiential education are receiving national recognition. Thank you for all you do!

Give Now!

If you are 70 1/2 years old or older, you can receive tax benefits and support SUU. This gift option is called an IRA charitable rollover or a qualified charitable distribution (QCD). Up to $100,000 per individual can be given to qualified organizations such as SUU without having to pay income taxes on the money.

Why make this type of gift?

  • You pay zero income taxes on your gift. The transfer does not generate a taxable income & tax deduction. You benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions.
  • This charitable rollover gift can satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution for the year.
  • You make a positive impact on T-bird Nation.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I make this gift now? Even if I’m not quite 70 ½?

No. You must be age 70 ½ by the date you make the gift.

When do I need to make my IRA Charitable Rollover?

In order for your donation to qualify this year, we must receive your gift by December 31st. If you write a check from your IRA account, please mail your check by December 20th. This will allow us to process your gift before the end of the year.

How much do I need to give from my IRA to be eligible for the tax benefits?

You can give any amount that is $100,000 or less this year. If your IRA is valued more than $100,000, you can transfer a portion of it to fund a charitable gift

Next Steps

  • Contact us.
  • Ask the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
  • Request your IRA administrator to make a direct transfer to SUU. In order for this gift to be tax free, the donation must go directly from your IRA account to SUU without passing through your hands.

The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor.