True to SUU
See the schedule to
Alumni Career Expo
Wednesday, November 6
If you are interested in exploring new career opportunities, mark your calendar for November 6, and plan to attend an alumni-only career expo
in Salt Lake City.
Intermountain MBA Consortium
Wednesday, November 6, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. at the Davis Conference Center in Layton, UT. State-wide networking event designed to connect MBA alumni with representatives from partner corporations. Advance registration is $25 until midnight November 3.
More Info & Registration.
Oak Ridge Boys
40th Anniversary Tour
Tuesday, December 3
Featuring their greatest hits and all of your Christmas favorites. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased at Tbirdtickets.com.
The Fall 2013 Newsletter from the Friends of the Sherratt Library. Interesting news and updates, including their November 2, Library Gala.
Homecoming 2013 - True to SUU (October 8-12) is nearly here and we invite you to be on campus and celebrate with us:
Homecoming week is filled with events and activities for you to reconnect with friends, classmates and Southern Utah University (check out the schedule below). We hope you will be on campus to celebrate with your Thunderbird family.
See you in a few days,
SUU Alumni Relations
Mindy, Ron, Linda & Charley
Homecoming 2013 - True to SUU
Homecoming 2013 is here and we are excited for all festivities. We look forward to seeing you.
Tuesday, October 8
- Poetry and Quilts, 4:00 p.m., Garden Level of the Sherratt Library.
- English Department No-Host Dinner at 5:15 p.m. at The Pastry Pub.
- Lecture by Dr. Jim Aton, Jim Jones: The San Blas Years at the Braithwaite Gallery.
Thursday, October 10
- 50-Year Club Reception, 5:30 p.m. in the Hunter Conference Center. Short program at 5:45 p.m.
- Alumni Awards Banquet, 6:30 p.m. in the Gilbert Great Hall. Call Charley Hamilton at 435-865-8221 or email for tickets.
- SUUSA Pep Rally, 8:00 p.m. at Centrum Arena.
Friday, October 11
- Outdoor Engagement Center Reunion, 10-Year Anniversary details.
- School of Business Alumni Reception, 5:00 p.m. at the Leavitt Business Building.
- SUUSA Executive Club Reunion, 6:00 p.m. at the Hunter Conference Center. All former executive council members are invited. Email Mindy Benson for details.
- Forever Red, 7:00 p.m. Upper Quad. Live music from The Coats, Mason Cottam Band and Hello Goodbye, plus food and fireworks.
- True T-Bird, Midnight at Old Sorrel.
Saturday, October 12
- SUUper Sorrel Homecoming 5k, 7:30 a.m., at the Coal Creek Trail. Register Now!
- SUUSA Reunions, 9:00 a.m. at the Alumni House for Jason White ('93-'94), Treion Muller ('98-'99) and Kaydee Shakespear ('03-'04). Email Mindy Benson for details.
- Pancake Breakfast, 9:30 a.m. at the Alumni House.
- Homecoming Parade, 11:00 a.m. on University Boulevard. Plan to watch the parade with us at the Alumni House.
- Thunderbird Club Tailgate Party, Noon in the parking lot west of Eccles Coliseum. RSVP to Matt Roan. Donations welcome.
- College of Education Alumni Reunion, Noon. Information.
- Football Game vs. Portland State, 2:00 p.m. Tickets.
- SUU Alumni Band Concert, 7:30 p.m. at the Heritage Center. Free admission. Band alumni participating are invited to download music and RSVP with Dr. Adam Lambert, SUU Director of Bands.
Homecoming Banquet Honorees
You are cordially invited to attend the annual Homecoming
Banquet on Thursday, October 10, at 6:30 p.m. in the Gilbert Great Hall of the Hunter Conference Center. Tickets are $13 and can be reserved by calling Charley Hamilton at 435-865-8221 or by email.
The Homecoming Banquet is a long-held tradition that provides us the opportunity to celebrate our alma mater and renew the common bond that we all share as alumni of SUU. Each year we recognize alumni who, like many in our association, have made an impact in their chosen careers, in their communities and in the lives of others. This year's honorees are Max Rose, Ted & Melinda Whitaker and Jasen Wade Nielsen.
Dr. Max Rose is a renowned leader in education in Washington County, Utah. A professor in math and chemistry and later vice president of academics at Dixie State University, he also served 10 years as superintendent of the Washington County School District before retiring this summer. He is now a member of the Dixie State board of trustees and has served in a number of other community posts. He and his wife, Kathy, are parents of four children and have four grandchildren.
Ted and Melinda Whitaker, as individuals and as a couple, served as exceptional student leaders and, since, as paragons of service to the University and its alumni. Ted forged a successful career in the insurance industry while Melinda, who was Miss SUSC in 1969, spent a quarter-century as an elementary school teacher. She worked energetically alongside Ted in his volunteer service as president of the Utah County Chapter of the Alumni Association as well as his work as vice president on the executive board. Together, the Orem couple has been strong advocates for the institution and steered countless prospective students to campus. They are parents to four and grandparents to 10.
Jasen Wade Nielsen found his educational niche at Southern Utah University and has gone on to a solid film career. His 13 acting credits thus far, with his screen name Jasen Wade, include Treasure in Heaven: The John Tanner Story, 17 Miracles, Amber Alert, and Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed. His diverse SUU training has helped him work behind the camera as well. He is married to the former Holly Green, who was a member of the SUU gymnastic squad, and the couple lives in Washington, UT with their two children.
Forever Red on the Upper Quad!
Join us Friday, October 11, as SUU's Upper Quad will be filled with entertainment, lights, food and fireworks.
The celebration starts at 7:00 p.m. with acapella sensation The Coats. Local group Mason Cottam Band performs at 8:30 p.m., followed by a sensational Fireworks Show at 9:45 p.m. Hellogoodbye takes to the stage at 10:00 p.m. and wraps-up the evening.
There is no charge and all are welcome to join the festivities. Forever Red has quickly become a much-anticipated SUU tradition that is not to be missed!
Let us know what you think of News from the Nest by emailing email@example.com.