Welcome to the Department of Mathematics
News and EventsFree Math Tutoring for SUU Students
Peer tutoring in many subjects is available at no charge to SUU students at the Student Success Tutoring & Study Lab in ELC 204.
When Will I Use Math?
Ever asked yourself that question? Check out the math website full of answers. Find careers, salaries, tips for success, and more. This site is supported by AMS, MAA, and BYU Math.
The Department of Mathematics is committed to offering a well-rounded academic program that will enhance the lives of those who take its courses. The demand for mathematical knowledge and skills is high in both industry and education. In secondary schools, the two greatest shortages of qualified teachers across the nation are in mathematics and technology. Also, jobs outlook publications continually rate mathematics as one of the skills most in demand for college graduates, jobs in mathematics and actuarial science continually top lists in job satisfaction surveys.
Mathematics Department Mission, Southern Utah University 2015-2016 General Catalog
Student Learning Outcomes
Mathematics and Mathematics Education majors should be able to:
- Use standard mathematical techniques to solve computational problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of fundamental mathematical concepts and results in the core content areas.
- Use content knowledge to solve applied and real-world mathematical problems.
- Communicate mathematics effectively using proper notation and terminology.
- Use logical reasoning to construct clear and concise mathematical proofs.