Graduate Studies in Education

Master of Education

SUU's M.Ed. program offers online and campus-based instruction. For campus-based international learners, a campus-based engaged-learning option is available that requires physical attendance and mentoring by faculty.

For our geographically distanced learners--continuing education, district partners, and global learners living in their communities--we offer interactive graduate courses online together with face to face attendance-required options.

Are you looking for some support to travel to present at a conference or attend professional development related to the program? Reach out to a faculty member in the Education department and/or go to the following link for some great funding opportunities:

Our program in the news:

Admission Requirements:

  1. Provide official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended. If degree was from SUU, a copy of transcript is not required. Official transcripts must bear the institution's seal, registrar's signature, and (chose one):
    • Mailed directly from institution in sealed envelope.
    • Mailed from applicant in an envelope with sealed envelope from institution (the institution envelope may not be opened or tampered with).
    • Hand delivered in institution's sealed envelope without being opened or tampered with.
    • Submitted as electronic transcripts from Utah institutions through the Clearinghouse or Parchment
    • Faxed transcripts are NOT accepted
    • Copies of official transcripts are NOT accepted.
  2. GPA of 3.0 or higher calculated off the last 60 semester hours of course work.
  3. All applicants must participate in a program orientation.
  4. One year PreK-12 teaching experience.* For 27-credit and 36-credit Leadership Programs, three full years of paid teaching experience. Utah applicants can submit a screen shot of the Assignments tab of the CACTUS report.
    *Two full years of teaching experience NOT required for the three new emphasis options in our M.Ed. program (Special Education, English as a Second Language, or Education Foundations and Policy)
  5. A copy of applicant's current, valid teaching license (Level 1 in Utah) or equivalent. For Leadership programs, valid teaching license (Level 2 in Utah) or equivalent. Applicants from Utah may submit a screen shot of the Credentials tab of the CACTUS report. Valid teaching licenses from other states/countries may be considered. Student teaching/practicum or internship experiences do not meet this criterion. Information may be faxed to (435)865-8485.
  6. One recommendation from a principal/administrator. When completing an online application, email addresses for the reference is required. A recommendation form will be generated and emailed to that reference. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify SUU has received information from the reference.
  7. Writing Prompt

Application Deadline:

  • Summer semester - April 15
  • Fall semester - July 15
  • Spring semester - November 15

Mail documents to:

Master of Education
Tammy Lovell, ED 316
351 W. University Blvd.
Cedar City, UT 84720

Education Leadership
Shelley Dahlin, ED 319
351 W. University Blvd.
Cedar City, UT 84720

Do not mail your documents to the Admissions Office.

 *In order to complete the Thesis, students must be currently working in the school setting in order to complete action research requirements. 

Based on SUU credit transfer policies, in some situations, graduate level coursework earned towards an endorsement may be used as elective credit towards the M.Ed. Review of transcripts and other documentation (Utah Cactus records, etc.) submitted during the application process is required to determine the number, if any, of credits accepted.

Twelve credits of a 5000-level completed endorsement may be considered towards the electives in the Master’s program. SUU administers, through its partners, the following endorsements:

  • ESL
  • Educational Technology
  • Gifted and Talented
  • Math
  • Reading
  • Library Media (in partnership with the SUU Library)
  • STEM
  • Early Childhood

Please contact Serena Woodhouse,, for more information on available endorsements.

UEN administers other endorsements that may be considered, please contact program specialist for more information.

Contact Information

Tamara Lovell
M.Ed. and Non-degree Seeking Graduate Study Program Specialist
(435) 865-8759