Athletic Training Degree
Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accreditation January 28, 2015 effective to 2021-2022
The Athletic Training Major is designed to prepare those students seeking a career as a Certified Athletic Trainer. Completion of the Major will qualify students to set for the certification exam administered by the Board of Certification. Successful completion of the exam will result in Certification as an Athletic Trainer by the BOC. A student in athletic training will learn to apply knowledge of human anatomy, human physiology, exercise physiology, kinesiology, conditioning, strength training, nutrition, and therapy in the prevention, evaluation, recognition, immediate care, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Career opportunities include working with athletic teams at all levels of competition, in sports medicine clinical settings or other allied health facilities and industry.
Students will be selected in the Athletic Training Major in a three step process:
- Completion of prerequisite classes. **
- Advanced First Aid/CPR or current cards (PE 1543)
- Human Physiology with lab (BIOL 2420 & 2425)
- Human Anatomy with lab (BIOL 2320 & 2325)
- Athletic Training/Sports Medicine with lab (PE 3080/3085)
- Complete application form and three reference questionnaires. Submit by September 30.
- Complete an interview with the Athletic Training major selection committee. Submitting an application does not guarantee that applicant will be interviewed.
** Applications of students currently enrolled will be considered.
# Junior College transfer students should contact the program director for further information.
Nathan Slaughter email: email@example.com phone: 435-586-7823
A maximum of fifteen (15) students will be selected into the program each year.
- Admission Criteria
- Required Courses
- Program Placement & Clinical Rotation
- Four-Year Sequence
- Application Form (Fill out, print, turn in with application packet)
- Reference Questionnaire (Can be filled out on line or by hand, print, sign and turn in with application packet)
- Technical Standards for Admission (Print, sign and turn in with application packet)
- SUU Graduates BOC Exam Information
- caATE Accreditation Status
- Student Handbook
- Program Costs
“Southern Utah University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) located at 8850 Austin Center Blvd., Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3184. The program will have its next comprehensive review during the 2021-2022 academic year.”