Department of Teacher Education & Family Development

Elementary Education

Students interested in teaching in the elementary schools of Utah (grades K-8) can complete course work leading to an Elementary Education degree (major) with licensure eligibility in the State of Utah. License programs offered are K-3, K-6 or 1-8 grade levels.  Interested students are required to complete the Elementary Education degree program and the associated coursework respective to the license they are seeking. The Elementary Education degree also requires students to specialize in one area.  In addition, a minimum of 30 semester hours of professional education course work and a student teaching placement must be completed in the Department of Teacher Education and Human Development. For students wishing to teach in middle school grades 7 and 8 on a elementary 1-8 license must have a content endorsement (requiring additional coursework) in one of several areas (see an academic advisor for details). A Utah teaching license has reciprocity with nearly all other states and territories in the United States.

A minor is not required for Licensure in the State of Utah. It is suggested that anyone wanting to complete a minor meet with the Education Advisor.

Elementary Education students can also select to complete a dual licensure program in conjunction with their Elementary Education degree in Special Education (K-12) or Early Childhood Education (K-3).

Elementary Block courses and Student Teaching placements will be offered in the Fall and Spring semesters only. The College of Education will register all students for the Elementary Block and Student Teaching.

Elementary Block requirements:

  • Students must have completed all university general education core requirements and elementary education requirements.
  • Students must submit a Elementary Block Application.
  • Students must be admitted to the College of Education and have a current background check on file with the State of Utah.
  • Students must pass the PRAXIS II Exam  with at least the minimum passing score in each of the four testing areas.

Dual Licensure

Areas of Concentration