

FACULTY SENATE MEETING MINUTES

January 23, 2025

4:00-5:30pm

Approved

Scott Knowles, Kelly Goonan, Chris Monson, John Karpel, Grant Shimer, Chris Graves, John Benedict, Christian Bohnenstengel, Jacob Dean, Scott Hansen, David Hatch, Derek Hein, Maren Hirschi, Bryan Koenig, Michael Kroff, Elise Leahy, Jon Lee, Elijah Neilson, R. Alexander Nichols, Michelle Orihel, Rachel Parker, Amanda Roundy, Ryan Siemers, Nate Slaughter, Kevin Stein, Jeanne Subjack, Lee Wood, Chris Younkin, Qian Zhang

Not Attending:

Proxies: Michiko Kobayashi for John Meisner

Guests: Mindy Benson, James Sage, Shauna Mendini, Camille Thomas, Jake Johnson, Colter Bennett, Shalina Kesar, Matt McKenzie. Meagan Beesley, Jaley Cox, Robb McCollum, Clint Broadbent, John Karpel

1. Call to order (4:01)
2. Recognition of Presenters and Guests (4:01)
 - a. President Benson
 - b. Interim Provost Mendini
 - c. Associate Provost James Sage
 - d. Assistant Provost Camille Thomas
 - e. Assistant Provost Jake Johnson
 - a. Senior Director of CTI and Staff Association President, Matt McKenzie
 - f. Graduate Council Chair, Dr. Shalini Kesar
 - g. Compensation Manager, Meagan Beesley
 - h. SUUSA President, Colter Bennett
 - i. Annual Giving Manager, Jaley Cox
 - j. Director of American Language and Culture Center, Dr. Robb McCollum
 - k. CTI Faculty Working Group, Dr. Clint Broadbent

3. Approval of Meeting Minutes: (4:02)

a. [December 5, 2024 Minutes](#)

Rachel Parker made the motion and Jacob Dean seconded the motion. Minutes were approved unanimously.

4. Events and Announcements:(4:06)

- a. Faculty can submit [Caught Red Handed awards](#) to other faculty, staff, and student employees. Staff Association will deliver these awards monthly (if not more frequently).

- b. Collecting Faculty Stories - Please share these with students and colleagues to help gather unique, personal stories about the impact our faculty have on students every day. No story is too small.

i. [Faculty/staff/admin Form](#)

ii. [Student Form](#)

- c. QPR Training - 75% Training Goal

- i. Contact Madison McBride to schedule department level trainings:
madisonmcbride@suu.edu

- ii. [Spring Semester QPR Training Dates](#)

1. [RSVP here](#)

- d. This spring (Jan.- Apr.), the Utah Academic Library Consortium's Open Education Resources Committee will hold a monthly lunch & learn series exploring the transformative world of open education. Join fellow educators and professionals for an engaging lunchtime session. Find details at <https://ualc.net/utahoer/> or reach out to Chris Younkin (chrisyounkin@suu.edu).

5. Information Items: (4:08)

- a. Safe Zone Training moved to CTI (Scott Knowles)

- b. Giving Thor's Day - Hammerfest and Thunder Quest 2025 (Jaley Cox)

Annual Giving day coming up. Over \$13,000 of scholarship money to students. Follow [link](#) to participate in volunteering on Giving Day. Also, you can get together a team of three from your departments for the Hammer Hold Contest. The winning team will claim the golden hammer for the year and the individual who has the longest time will have the \$1000 scholarship in their name.

Thors Thunder Quest every Monday that Thursday until the Thunder Quest begins Feb 3rd until the end of the month. Every day will be a challenge for students. For faculty there is a \$1000 to be given in your name of the winner. Watch for the website.

Reach out to Scott Knowles to join a Faculty Senate Thors Hammer Team to compete for the hammer!

c. SUUSA Elections (Colter Bennett)

Please encourage students to run for office and to vote. It makes a difference to hear your voice of encouragement.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFGI8Tww4wa7kVAL4PBmAjWMWJSJ-ITcXD_dSAkk8v7Cktjw/viewform

<https://www.suu.edu/stil/elections/>

d. Thunderbird Awards (Scott Knowles)

i. [Nomination Form](#)

Please nominate your colleagues.

6. Action Items (4:46)

a. [Faculty Job Descriptions](#) (Meagan Beesley)

i. Excluding Program Director

22 approved and one abstained. The job description proposal passed.

7. Discussion Items (4:48):

a. [Repeal Policy 6.32 Faculty Resignations](#) (Jake Johnson)

This policy required the Board of Trustees to accept a faculty resignation before it was effective.

As you all know, the board of trustees only meets a handful of times every year, and things happen in between their meetings, and we can't hold an employee to work once they've told us they no longer want to work.

Likely the reason this policy was adopted was to discourage resignations after a semester began, and that can be difficult for a department to find an adjunct to fill in for that faculty member if they leave midterm. But that doesn't change the fact that we can't force somebody to labor on our behalf.

In fact, some people might say, that's a form of enslaving a person, and that's prohibited by law. So this sort of policy doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Scott: This will appear as an action item at our next Faculty Senate meeting. Please bring it up with your departments and share feedback.

b. Faculty Senate President Criteria (Scott Knowles)

We are getting close to elections for the next faculty Senate President. We've had a lot of discussion about how to try to encourage folks to both apply for the job and put their hat in the ring. As well as which groups of people are perhaps overrepresented. For example, there are some departments that simply cannot lose a person to be Faculty Senate President for a given period of time because of workload constraints. We have a dwindling pool of available applicants who are ready, willing, and able. So the idea was put forward that perhaps we actually needed to open up the president criteria from being a tenured faculty member to also including perhaps a non tenure track advanced faculty member. So this would be somebody who has advanced beyond the lecturer role. We'd work out the details of what that is, but we wanted to bring it here as a discussion item and see what faculty senators think.

Grant Shimer: What if we elect someone to be Faculty Senate President, elect this semester? And then their program gets cancelled?

Scott: I don't if this would save someone's job. That's a question for further down the road. I do think there are provisions that allow for reelection.

John Benedict: I am in support.

Scott: The reason that the Faculty Senate President has been tenured in the past is because tenure offers a degree of protection and job safety that a non tenure track faculty may not have, which is a concern for job safety doesn't exist, then perhaps they can't sa

Grant: A lot of our non tenure track colleagues have a higher workload than us. We might want to consider course releases.

Maren: As a non tenure track faculty, I would agree with both of those things. There's got to be some form of protection for faculty from all the things that we would need protection from in that role.

John: Could we realign our constitution to recognize non tenured faculty and offer them a certain degree of protection within the constitution of the Senate?

Scott: We could try. I'm not sure that the bylaws and constitution of the Faculty Senate is capable of offering a non-tenure track faculty member tenure-like protection while in the role of Faculty Senate President. I can find out. But if we did do this, it would require updating our bylaws as to who is eligible to be faculty Senate President.

Ryan: Have we made any progress making it possible for people who are in departments that they feel like they can't leave because of workload. Have we made any progress opening that up to those folks as well.

Scott: It's kind of a tricky thing to open up, and largely it has to do with funding. Here's the idea: is it possible to set aside a sum of money to use when necessary for the Faculty Senate President elect so we could look for a visiting assistant professor to help with the workload in their department for the year they are serving. It's a budget issue and an economic issue. And we have not been able to find the money. Please forward ideas to the Executive Committee or myself to add to the discussions.

Grant: We're going to hold the nominations/elections earlier this year.

Scott: Yes, we're hoping to get the nomination form open by February 6th. We could put a proposal together and try to have a change by February 6th or the next meeting and then nominate people. The period of open nominations will be about a month. So it'll be open until March. So we do have a little bit of time to try to get this done if we wanted to include non-tenure track faculty members in this round of voting depending on how we decide to include it as protections for a non-tenure track faculty member.

Support was shown by Maren Hirschi and John Benedict.

Please continue this discussion in your departments and bring back your thoughts to our next meeting.

c. Athletic Advisors - Access to Canvas (Scott Munro)

As the athletics rep for the university I try to work in between athletics and faculty when we have an issue. In athletics they've got two academic advisors and a graduate student that helps them out. There is also an athletic director for compliance and academics. We've been running into a problem lately with at risk athletes every semester in getting behind on all the needs of these athletes. We would like to pursue getting our advisors

an observer Canvas access so they can see the canvas courses for the athletes. This will allow the academic advisors to be more proactive on some of these issues/risks for our athletes.

I know it's been brought up in the past. I've been told that Canvas access has actually been given to some extent in the past for academic advisors in the athletic department, and there's been pushback. So I'm here making a request and I'm certainly open to ideas. There are 350 to 400 athletes and we have two academic advisors, and 30 to 40 athletes that we identify as high risk so having an observer role in Canvas would help.

I want to get some feedback. See what people think. If there are other options I'm open to it. But the biggest problem I'm having right now is for the last four semesters like the last 2 weeks of the semester.

Jon Karpel: Do the athletic advisors have access to Success Hub? You can log in there and look up a student, and see their current canvas grade and it's based on what's been graded in canvas already. I think that's probably an easier solution.

Scott Munro: They do have that. The dilemma there is they can't see what assignments are there, what assignments are not there. It's a small percentage, we don't want to become the assignment police, but there are some kids that need more followup on different assignments. Some of you probably get progress updates from the academic advisors. Those probably wouldn't completely stop, but it would hopefully reduce the number because they'd have more insight.

Dave Hatch: I went to a big football school for graduate school, and I was regularly pressured to change grades by the academic advisors. This makes me a little uncomfortable, probably because of that experience. I'm also a little concerned about privacy issues, if you can look at this student's grade, you can look at everybody else's grade in the class and I would hate to be taken out of the loop as the teacher. If someone has a problem in the class and the coaches are concerned about it, I want to be part of the solution. And so if there's a way that we could keep the instructor involved in helping to find a handle to turn on that student. That's something I'm interested in.

Scott Munro: I wholly agree with you that they should be staying out of the academic realm. In my mind, their job is to coach, their job is to help mentor the students. Their job is to help academically monitor the students because they're with them more. But it's not to go out and do their work. It's not to go out and pester faculty.

John Benedict: Have you investigated the technology part of this? Have you gone to the Canvas people and ask if they can filter these guys out so you only see them on Canvas?

Camille Thomas: Yes, we can grant access so that the individuals can only see the student.

Matt Mckenzie: That is correct. What the observer role does is if you have a child who's in the Iron County School district, you can be put in as an observer and it only lets you see your child so you can assign very specifically that Matt Mckenzie can only see this one student. I could not go in and submit assignments for my child. I could not go in and communicate. It's basically I can go in and see whether my kid is doing their work or not. The athletic observer role would work the same way, they could not see all the other students or their grades. They would be very specifically assigned to a student through the athletic department.

Matt Mckenzie: Everything's a workload. It's something we can figure out and work with.

Michelle Are you proposing that such surveillance would be optional or automatic or mandatory?

Scott Munro: The thought is that at a minimum we would identify the at risk athletes and try to make it mandatory for them.

Michelle Orihel: I understand your perspective. I think you have to understand that this proposal for even more surveillance is happening at a particular moment right now, with hostile attitudes towards higher education out there, and we're not exactly sure what's going to happen.

Scott Munro: Agreed. My assumption is that if we don't like what's happening Matt flips a switch, and it's done. I'm an interface and if anybody's got any questions or concerns about anything. This is all internal, these are all SUU employees. We're not sending anything out.

Elise Leahy: It seems we're not allowed to speak to parents of our students about their grades. I would wonder whether the student athletes would be able to opt in. Perhaps the notion that you might be wanting to look at their canvas would be some motivation. What about FERPA? Would the athletes themselves have a say, because it is really their education.

Scott Munro: We've gone through different rounds of having the student athletes sign a waiver if they're okay with this. Then you've got other people in the athletic department who say if they're on athletic aid, they have certain responsibilities that they have to meet. So those are the two

campus. I think most of the athletes that we would be helping probably would not be opposed to it, because they see it as additional help.

Scott Knowles: I'm hearing a lot of different concerns about this. Scott, I'm wondering if you could draft up a really specific proposal about exactly what you're asking for and perhaps a couple of iterations. One iteration where it's automatic, one iteration where faculty could opt in to this or not opt into this for any given student in their class, and finally how student consent is working within the operation. And then, if you could bring that back to the Faculty Senate at our next meeting. Just so that we have something more tangible. Faculty senators, please go ahead and take this idea back to your faculty and collect feedback and see what people think, and then we can proceed from there.

Scott Munro: Sounds reasonable to me. I'll try to put something together.

- d. [Student Course Feedback Survey Revision](#) - CTI Faculty Working Group Proposal (Robb McCollum and Clint Broadbent)

Robb McCollum: The faculty working group with CTI, which has representatives from all colleges, was tasked by Faculty Senate and used data from Faculty Senate about concerns they had with the current student feedback surveys. We have developed a proposal for replacement. Some of the things that this helps address is the fact that this old survey was quite long, especially if students wanted to provide qualitative feedback. In addition to the quantitative questions, lots of faculty members felt that the feedback they were getting from the current survey just wasn't useful, and it wasn't particularly useful for revising their courses or helping them build good evidence of teaching for their P&T documents. So we took that feedback and have shortened the survey. We've also worked with CTI to fix some of the technological problems so that the survey is delivered much more quickly with fewer clicks, and it also allows for special groups like the general education survey to add additional questions to the survey without that survey being longer.

Grant Shimer: This is probably also for Matt. Would there be a way with these new surveys, or would this be a good opportunity to create a survey dashboard? I know one of the struggles with folks when we're doing our P&T annual reviews we have to consolidate all those surveys together. I'd really like to also have the ability to have a dashboard that populates with graphs and numbers all the time whenever we want within a course. I think that would be really valuable for course adaptations that we'd like to put in when we have time.

Clint Broadbent: If there are ways to make the feedback easier to digest, and easier to give to P&T Committees would be vastly welcomed by department chairs and everyone.

David Hatch: I'm always concerned that any sort of assessment takes into account the fact that many of us teach online. We've expressed some concern about that upfront. Our faculty will take a close look at it and see about that. I'm wondering if you have any comments for how that addresses specifically those of us who teach online courses.

Clint Broadbent: We will have a specific questionnaire, specifically for online that will just roll out automatically and it will not be given the awkward treatment. Any feedback. We would love to get some more feedback as we do that.

David Hatch: Thank you. I'll encourage our faculty to give specific feedback on things we'd like to see changed.

Clint Broadbent: We want to respect the time of the student and the faculty. My background is in methodology, students were complaining that there were just a lot of clicks. And so what we did with the program is we've clustered the quantitative responses which actually primes the student. We have five questions that we're doing quantitatively. Then we give them two simple qualitative responses to allow them to give us specific feedback on those items.

Shalini Kesar: I want to say thank you to the CTI office, and thank you, Clint, because this has been a huge issue for us. On top of adding to what David said online, we have an accelerated program. So we have the 7 weeks program which adds it. So I just met with some of the CTI office today and customized it for our masters of Cyber Security program. Should I hold on to that and see what draft feedback you have? And then maybe it might be repetitive or should I go ahead and add those? We added four questions

Robb McCollum: You can definitely keep those questions. And Bryce is able to add those questions onto the default one. Any program that might have some specific questions that they want to add in that was the goal of getting this one shorter is so added a few program specific questions. It would still be short enough for everyone. What we hope is that the questions here are generic enough so that they could work potentially in either context.

Mike Kroff: I do like the questions. I don't know if maybe this was just a business school thing but there was a question about the overall effectiveness of the course and the instructor. I don't see those here are

those on the current survey or not? We use those in our evaluations of faculty.

Robb McCollum: There might be something like that on the current one. This is a change. And the goal is that if we do make this change. We want everyone to feel good about it. So we do use it long term. Because obviously, as a faculty member, you want to have data you could compare to over years.

Matt McKenzie: The questions you're referring to Mike are custom questions and that would still be an option with this new survey.

Scott Knowles: We do have two things in the chat.

Bryce responded to the question about a dashboard and he says in the current system evaluation kit there isn't a way to make a dashboard to aggregate all of your reports, but we could look into trying to create one via the portal to see what we could do. There is a report builder, where you can create custom reports that aggregate the data within evaluation kit.

Chris followed that up with do we need to stay in the evaluation kit?

Rob is saying, we're not technically tied to the evaluation kit. So we could move to another tool if we needed

Please go ahead and take this proposal back to your faculty members. It will become an action item at our next faculty senate meeting.

Thank you all so much for your work on that course. Evaluations are always a tremendous amount of work, and I think all faculty really appreciate it when we can get as clean and clear on those as possible.

e. Sick and Medical Leave for Faculty (Scott Knowles)

There are any number of different sick and medical issues that can afflict a faculty member and when that happens what do we do here at SUU? Currently, we just use the Family Medical Leave Act, which gets you about 6 weeks of leave but there has been some ideas that perhaps we should try to build a similar policy for sick and medical leave that we have for paternity leave, so in paternity leave a parent or mother can get an entire semester of time off to go and take care of their new child, and we're curious whether sick and medical leave should also be included in a similar policy.

I'd really like people to just start considering this and we'll have it as a discussion item again next week.

John Benedict: I like the concept. The only concern I have is the upcoming budget crunch.

f. P&T Documents in a single PDF (Scott Knowles)

There is a move to submit P&T files as a single PDF. We would like to hear your thoughts on this and see if there is support for moving it back to a Google drive. Please collect information on this from your faculty.

g. Call for New Business / Faculty Input

Shalini: I don't know if we've discussed the parent syllabi. Would it be better if I email? Some of the faculty did express some concerns, especially about assignments and examinations, and how detailed we need to do it.

Scott Knowles: This is being mandated from above. There's really nothing that SUU can do. So figuring out exactly how and addressing those concerns is very important. But if you could email that to me, I'll meet and we'll try to work on some solutions for you.

8. Standing Committee Updates:(5:02)

a. Faculty Review Board (Michael Kroff)

b. Parking Ticket Arbitration Committee (Victoria Zhang)

We had a meeting yesterday, and we received 11 appeals, and we only denied 2 of them. We approved 9.

c. Staff Association Liaison (Amanda Roundy)

d. General Education Committee (Ryan Siemers)

We approved two new courses – philosophy course in ethics and a linguistics course, which is a theory of language course offered by Rob McCollum and the ESL folks. I want to thank Brian, Scott, and the Distinguished Award committee for working on implementing an award for GE instructors. This is much appreciated over in the GE committee.

e. Honors Council (Maren Hirschi): <https://www.suu.edu/honors/>

Honors contract proposals are due Jan 31st. If you have questions about the process follow this [link](#).

f. Graduate Council (Shalini Kesar)

- g. University Curriculum Committee (Rachel Parker)
- h. Student Association Liaison (Om Mehta)
- i. Benefits Committee (Cody Bremner)
- j. Faculty Awards Committees:
 - i. Distinguished Faculty Lecturer and Grace A. Tanner Committee (Christopher Graves)

Four applicants for this and should have an announcement soon.
 - ii. Employee Commitment for Access and Belonging (Kelly Goonan)
 - iii. Outstanding and Distinguished Educator Award Committee (Bryan Koenig)
 - iv. Distinguished Scholar/Creative Award Committee (Christian Bohnenstengel)
 - v. Distinguished Faculty Service Award Committee (Derek Hein)

k. Treasurer's Report (Jon Karpel)

l. Past President's Report (Kelly Goonan) - Academic Affairs Committee; University Faculty Leaves Committee

Academic Affairs committee met and reviewed the 21-day campus review feedback for 6.1, 6.22 and 6.18 so faculty, evaluation, promotion and tenure program discontinuance, procedures and faculty due process. Most of the feedback that was provided was editorial. There were a few comments that resulted in language modifications, they do not make substantial changes to the policy and were approved.

President's Leadership Council will be held next month. We pulled back policy 6.6 academic freedom based on the concerns that were raised at the Faculty Senate meeting in December, when we first introduced that draft policy revision. Reworking draft and will bring it back to the Feb 6th meeting.

m. President Elect's Report (Chris Monson) – UCFSL; Workload and Faculty Salary Equity Committee (WaFSEC); Ad Hoc committee on policy outside of 6.0

UCFSL (Utah Council of Faculty Senate leadership) the UofU feel targeted by the legislature. Workload and Faculty Salary Equity Committee has begun meeting. Committee will mostly focus on workload. Ad Hoc

Committee on policies outside of 6. there have been many of those sent out to campus for review and we are looking closely at those.

- n. President's Report (Scott Knowles) - Policy/Procedure Arbitration Committee; President's Council; Dean's Council

Pres Benson has been invited to join the executive session and share anything she knows about the legislature. Please continue to think about the faculty stories form that I've been pushing now for like three months. I did have Coulter Bennett send that form out to every single student and since my name was attached to that letter, mostly theatre students responded. Please take that form and see if your departments would be willing to distribute it to the faculty. With the ask coming from you as a faculty senator and a faculty member within the department or your department chair, because your students know you, and they will fill out a form for you that they will not fill out for me. I am getting a lot of great stories, and it is wonderful to read about the great work that people are doing on the theater and dance side. I kind of already know the great work they're doing. So I'm hoping to get folks, you know, outside of my circle.

Do we have a call for executive session?

- 9. Call for Executive Session (5:11)

Call was made by Elise Leahy and Grant Shimer seconded

- 10. Adjourn