Sponsored by the English Department and the Braithwaite Writing Center, the Scriblerian is a publication for students by students. Revived during Fall Semester 2004 after a two-year hiatus, this on-line journal is the result of an essay competition organized by Writing Center tutors for ENGL 1010 and 2010 students.
The Fall 2011 Scriblerian Contest was planned and supervised by Chair Blake London with the help of Jacqui Harrah, Vanessa Hunt, Dana LeCheminant, Violet Wager, and Wes Van de Water. A total of 26 essays were submitted for the Fall 2011 contest.
- 1st Place: "Game Design: Is it the End of a Knowledgeable and Social Society?" by Vincent Bundage II—Professor Joy Sterrantino
- 2nd Place: "Thin Is In, or Is It?" by Amber Overson—Professor: Toa Tawa
- 1st Place: "My Father’s Choice " by Sherrin Rieff—Professor: Dr. Rosalyn Eves
- 2nd Place: "The Life of a Thread " by Megan Spence—Professor: Dr. Julia Combs
- 1st Place: "In My Wildest Dreams: Insightful Messages" by Tonya Stratton—Professor: Dr. Julie Combs
- 2nd Place: "The Environmental Movement: Is It in Good Hands?" by Jack Shumway—Professor: Eric Morrow