Master of Public Administration
The Master of Public Administration degree program builds upon Southern Utah University's individualized, experiential learning through our mission and goals.
Our Mission is to:
- Prepare pre-service and in-service students to meet the challenges of public and nonprofit service.
- Develop student knowledge and competencies through scholarly activity, experiential learning, and applied research.
- Offer coursework that presents a framework of understanding based on academic literature and skill development through activities, projects, and assignments.
- Promote public service values, a culture of democratic administration, leadership and managements skills, and ethical decision-making in all aspects of public and nonprofit sector organizations.
- Provide on-campus and online students with comparable academic experiences that develop knowledge and skills for public service.
Our Core Values are:
- Lead through change
- Engage the community
- Base decisions on data, reliable information and analysis
- Protect public resources and ensure they are used in the most efficient and effective manner
- Model ethical behaviors
- Partner with students for lifelong learning
- Educate and train students to be innovative leaders in public and nonprofit organizations.
- Enhance the field of public administration regionally, nationally, and internationally through the academic and service contributions of our faculty and students.
- Create a learning environment where our students develop public service values and thoughtful and ethical decision-making skills.
- Assess student learning and use assessment research to continuously enhance the program offerings.
- Embrace and partner with a diverse student body, faculty, workforce, and public to enhance public policy and administration.
Department/Program Learning Outcomes
The program competencies are:
- To lead, manage and apply effective public governance.
- To participate and contribute to the public, fiscal and economic policy process.
- Solve problems using analytics, critical thinking, ethical thinking and conceptualize and apply best practices.
- To articulate and apply public service perspectives, norms and legal standards.
- To communicate orally and in writing, in a way that is productive and effective in a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry.