International Transfer Student Admission Requirements

For admission, please fill out the application either online or use our PDF application. Submit required supporting documents to Once you are admitted, you will be sent a letter of admission and an I-20. You will then schedule a visa interview to obtain your visa to study at SUU. The following information will be required of all foreign students who are applying for admission to Southern Utah University.

1. Application

Apply for Admission

Pay required $60 application fee (U.S. currency only), $35 for returning students.

Application Deadlines

  • Fall Semester - July 15th
  • Spring Semester - November 15th

NOTE: At least 1 month is required for school processing, express shipping, and embassy appointment.

2. English Proficiency

Proof of English proficiency is required for all applicants whose first language is not English. Students may show proficiency in English by providing scores for any one of the following:

Undergraduate English Proficiency Minimums
Test Minimum Score School Code
TOEFL IBT 71 4092
TOEFL Paper Based 525 4092
IELTS 6.0 Southern Utah University
ACT 18 4271
SAT Critical Reading 450 4027

Exams must not be over two years old at the time of application. Submitted scores must be an official report (screen shot not accepted).

Alternate English Proficiency Options

Applicants with an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or an English speaking country may submit an official transcript as proof of English proficiency.

Transfer students from a U.S. college who have completed 24 or more credits at a 2.0 GPA or higher may submit an official transcript as proof of English proficiency.

Students who have successfully graduated from an English language program may submit an official transcript indicating graduation with an overall grade performance of at least 80% or a B average as proof of English proficiency.

3. Transcripts

Official transcripts (record of courses taken and grades received) from each high school, college, and university attended must be submitted. Official transcripts must be sent to:

SUU International Admissions Office
351 W. University Blvd., ST 120
Cedar City, UT 84720

All transcripts must meet a 2.0 minimum grade point average (GPA) on a U.S. 4.0 GPA scale.

College Credit from Outside the US

If you are a transfer student with foreign transcripts, you must submit an official evaluated transcript of all post-high school coursework from an authorized evaluation service:

For a complete articulation of your credits, please submit a course syllabus for each course listed on your transcript. A course syllabus includes information about the content of the course. This will enable us to determine if equivalent SUU credit can be given for your transfer credits. If course syllabi are not submitted, your coursework will be transferred as elective credits.

College Credit from inside the US

If you are a transfer student from another school within the US, you must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.

If you have completed less than 24 college credits, high school transcripts are also required in addition to the college transcripts. High School Transcripts must be submitted on an official school document, which lists the name and address of the school, the dates enrolled, grading systems, description of each subject, and mark or grade earned in each subject.

4. Passport

Please provide a copy of the photo page of your passport. As per the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services requirements, the students name of record will be as shown in the machine-readable section of the passport.

5. Finances

International students are required to demonstrate that funds are available for the first year of study. An official document from a banking institution showing the amount of funds available must accompany the International Student Financial Form.

Estimated tuition and fees for international students

6. Transferring Government Records (SEVIS)*

*If transferring from within the U.S.

Once all supporting documents have been received you will be sent a Transfer Clearance Form to complete the SUU International Transfer Student admission process. This form will provide the information necessary for your current school to transfer your government record to SUU.

For more information about the application requirements, please contact your International Admissions Counselor.