SUU First Year Experience and Orientation

 Student Top Ten

1. What are the basic requirements for graduation?

Whether you want an Associate's or a Bachelor's degree, you will need to complete the general education requirements that can be found on pages 111-113 of the SUU General Catalog at:

ASSOCIATE DEGREE = at least 60 credits
BACHELOR DEGREE = at least 120 credits with at least 40 of those credits being upper division (classes labeled with numbers of 3000 or higher)

2. What is the SUU General Catalog and how do I access it?

The SUU General Catalog lists almost all the information a student will ever need to know about policies, procedures, academic programs, facilities, and more. You will use your catalog to find the classes you need to complete your program of study.

To access the catalog online:
From the SUU homepage, click on the Current Students tab in the top left corner. Then, under "Academic Resources" click on General Catalogs, and finally, select your catalog (2011 - 2012). Or go to

For a list of helpful definitions and explanations of terms in the catalog go to:

3. How do I access my degree requirement worksheet?

To quickly access your degree requirement worksheet:

The specific requirements for your program of study are found in the catalog (as described in item 2). Study areas are listed after Chapter 15 under the title "Academic Departments: Programs and Courses." Select the area of study for your program of study. Each link contains the requirements for whatever program you choose to study.

4. Which math or english course should I take?

Which math course should I take?
Your math class will be determined by your major. Refer to your degree requirement worksheet or contact your advisor.

If you scored below an 18 on the math portion of the ACT, developmental coursework may be required. Please consult your advisor.

If your ACT score is over 2 years old, talk to your advisor about taking a math placement test. To learn more about the exam (and to see sample questions) go to

Which English course should I take?
If your English ACT score is 29 or higher ENGL 1010 is waived. If you score lower than a 17, you will need to take ENGL 0990—a writing lab to be taken in the same semester as ENGL 1010.

If you are still unsure about which English course to take, feel free to ask your advisor.

5. How do I transfer my AP, Concurrent Enrollment, and CLEP credits?

Advanced Placements (AP) Credit: Test scores of 3 or higher should be sent to SUU, Attn: REGISTRAR. For a list of the exams for which you may receive credit, follow this link:

Concurrent Enrollment Credit: Make sure an official copy of your transcript is sent to the SUU Registrar's office from the college or university where you earned your college credit - This CANNOT just be a high school transcript.

College-Level Exam Program (CLEP) tests: if you are interested in taking CLEP tests, please contact the Testing Center at 435-865-8071 or email to find out which exams are offered and accepted at SUU. More information can be found here:

If you have documents that show credit earned bring them to orientation. This will aid in your academic advisor's efforts to guide you effectively through the advising process.

6. What do I need to know about meeting with my advisor?

You are welcomed and encouraged to schedule an appointment with your advisor before attending orientation. To do so call 435-586-5420. Academic advisors help students organize classes each semester to minimize time to graduation, as well as costs. They can answer questions and provide advice throughout your time at the University. You should then plan to meet with your advisor at least once a semester to ensure you are on track for graduation and to seek guidance with regard to your career path.

You will also meet with your advisor as part of the orientation program. This meeting will be in a group setting and will include other new students. If necessary, students can schedule a second one-on-one appointment to clarify any registration concerns.   

If you are an "open-option" student, someone who has not yet chosen a major, you will be assigned an advisor trained to guide you as you make academic and career decisions. Do not worry if you are "open-option." On average, one-third of SUU students begin their academic career with an open-option major.

7. What is Experiential Education at SUU?

Your experience at SUU will be unique, and your degree distinctive, as you engage and complete the SUU Experiential Education Program. Getting hands-on experience and learning how to talk about it and connect it to your life's interests is proven to provide students great advantages when they graduate from college and enter the workforce or graduate education.

At Orientation, you'll learn about five Engagement Centers built to help you have a quality experience and meet professionals who stand ready to answer your questions about the opportunities that await you through each center. The five centers focus, respectively, on:

  • Community Engagement
  • Creative and Innovative Engagement
  • Global Engagement
  • Leadership Engagement
  • Outdoor Engagement

You'll also learn about three courses designed to help you navigate the Experiential Education Program. The first of these courses, UNIV 1010: Introduction to Experiential Learning, introduces you to SUU's unique program and shows you how to integrate learning with real-world experiences.

The second course, UNIV 3925: Proposal, guides students through the process of creating a proposal to detail how they will meet their experiential learning goals, and the last course, UNIV 4925: Reflection and Synthesis, is a culminating course which provides you, the student, the opportunity to reflect on and present your work. Staff members of each Engagement Center eagerly await your visit to campus for Orientation and look forward to answering your questions.

Questions about SUU's Experiential Education Program should be directed to the University College at: 435-586-5419.

8. What can I do for entertainment in and around Cedar City?

Whether on campus or in the community, you don't have to go far to find a variety of interesting socials, club events, and entertainment. Whether you like sporting events, local music, or the arts, all of these options are available and some, especially those held on campus, will be free if you bring your SUU student I.D. Card.

If you enjoy outdoor adventures you'll never be bored because SUU is surrounded by 6 National parks all within two hours of the campus. And if you are more of a city person, St. George is only 45 minutes south of Cedar City, right off of I-15.

9. What is Thunderbird Flight School?

Starting college is a lot like flying on a plane; the thought of traveling to some place far away can be exciting, but the anxiety associated with what to expect or what might happen once you get there can make you nervous and anxious. Thunderbird Flight School builds on what is learned at Orientation to help ensure you are ready to succeed when classes start August 27. It is designed to help minimize your nervousness and anxiety and make certain you understand the expectations associated with your academic experience.

The schedule provides both educational and social opportunities for all participants. Flight School is required for all new students and will start on Thursday, August 23rd and continue until classes start on Monday, August 27th. If you have questions about Thunderbird Flight School, you should direct them to the Orientation Office at 435-586-1932 or email

10. Is attending SUU the right choice?

The SUU Experience has been named as the "Best in the West" by The Princeton Review for the eighth consecutive year, placing us in the top 25 percent of all the universities and colleges in the nation for both academic opportunities and campus life. If you still wonder if SUU is right for you, after orientation you'll know SUU is exactly where you belong.