Accounting Bachelor's Degree Program
Gain the foundation degree to become a CPA
Few college degree programs offer the clear path to career success that is available through the AACSB-accredited Accounting bachelor’s degree program at Southern Utah University. Nearly 100 percent of our Accounting graduates are employed right after graduation and employers typically seek them out before they complete their college degree. Regardless of the state of the economy, Accounting is a virtually recession-proof career field.
The SUU Accounting bachelor’s program offers a two-semester fast track to students who wish to complete a master’s in accountancy following their bachelor’s degree. This means that with just 30 additional credit hours, a student can be ready to take the CPA exam and become a full-fledged Certified Public Accountant in as little as five years total. Graduates of the SUU Accounting program boast a pass rate above the national average on the CPA exam. Nearly half of the students enrolled in the Accounting bachelor’s program take advantage of this fast track plan to complete their master’s degree.
Every student in the SUU Accounting bachelor’s degree program gains hands-on experience working in the field by taking part in SUU’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program that helps senior citizens and other select groups in the Cedar City, Utah, region complete their taxes at no cost.
Students looking for a challenging, secure career should give careful consideration to the possibilities available through the Southern Utah University Accounting program. Our graduates have a reputation for being well trained and are aggressively sought after by firms throughout Utah and the entire region.
Why Choose SUU for Accounting Studies?
- Every professor in the Accounting bachelor’s program is experienced as an accountant or in business law. They are well connected in the Accounting field, which is a huge asset to their students.
- The SUU Accounting bachelor’s program is fully accredited by the prestigious Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- Nearly half of all SUU Accounting graduates go on to complete their master of accountancy (MAcc) through the fast-track two semester graduate program.
- Accounting students get to know prospective employers well before college graduation through events hosted by the Professional Accounting Club.
Career and Salary Potential for Accounting Graduates
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Accounting graduates are entering a field where the median annual salary is $63,550 and the anticipated growth in positions through 2022 is 13 percent. Common jobs held by Accounting graduates include accountant, auditor, and IRS agent.
Campus Opportunities for Accounting Majors
Professional Accounting Club – the largest professional development club on campus Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – the university’s largest service learning project
Accounting Courses You May Take
- Tax 1 – Explore the most current tax laws and gain an understanding of individual tax regulations.
- Managerial Accounting – Understand the impact accounting information has on decision making in a business.
- Auditing 1 – Learn about auditing standards, internal accounting controls, auditing procedures, audit reports, and more.
Accounting Bachelor Degree Requirements
Program Contact: David Christensen, PhD