The dance program is dedicated to giving students the opportunity to develop their individual skills and strengths to prepare them to enter a professional, graduate or educational field. Students have the opportunity to study modern dance, ballet, character, tap and jazz. Additionally, dance education majors graduate with an understanding of the state of Utah and national dance standards and acquire a working knowledge of teaching skills to ably communicate the art of dance to students.
POINTS of DISTINCTION
- Institutional member of National Dance Educators Organization and accredited by the National Association of Schools of Dance and the Teachers Education Accreditation Council.
- SUU-produced choreography is consistently chosen for American College Dance Festival Gala Concert.
- Recipient of a National Endowment for the Arts: Three Centuries of Artistic Genius Grant.
- Recent guest artists include: Michael Anderson, Charlotte Boye-Christensen, Peter Chu, Alberto Del Saz, Lane Gifford, Susan Hadley, Changsheng Mei, Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company, Joanie Smith, Bin Wang, Haiyang Wang, Yan Wang, and Yuanje Wu.
In addition to preparing dancers for placement in the nation’s top performing arts graduate schools, SUU’s dance education program prepares students to become licensed secondary education dance teachers; offer private studio instruction; and serve as dance educational specialists.
Our campus is home to three state-of-the-art dance studios and two concert performance halls for our dancers’ use. We also house a library of Congress on Research in Dance and the Journal of Dance Education/RDE Database.
- Participation as a performer in the annual Faculty Dance Concert and as student choreographer/performer in the annual Student Dance Concert
- Orchesis Modern Dance Club
- Opportunities for international exchange and study abroad experiences