Engineering Bachelor's Degree Program
Gain a broad-based engineering degree with multiple career options
Southern Utah University’s ABET accredited Engineering bachelor’s degree program acquaints students with a broad range of Engineering possibilities. Students get to experience courses that cover electrical, mechanical, and civil engineering. It is the only truly integrated Engineering program offered anywhere in the state of Utah and it is excellent preparation for graduate school or to begin a career in the Engineering field.
Engineering classes are small at Southern Utah University and students learn in labs that are modern and feature the latest technology. Lower division Engineering courses typically include no more than 25-30 students. Upper division classes usually have no more than 15 students each. This gives students extraordinary access to their instructors who become excellent advisors and work side by side with students helping ensure they thoroughly understand key Engineering concepts.
Engineering is a hands-on program at SUU. Every course requires the completion of projects through which students demonstrate their understanding of the key concepts covered. In addition, through the capstone design project undertaken during the junior and senior years, each student plans, designs, and builds a scale model of a solar home that is fully tested for its thermal dynamics.
By the time students graduate from the SUU Engineering program, they are confident of their abilities to be accepted into an excellent graduate school program or begin a job in the Engineering field.
Why Choose SUU for Engineering Studies?
- Our students have excellent success after graduation. Last year, 90 percent of our Engineering graduates were employed or had been accepted to graduate school shortly after graduation.
- The Engineering program at Southern Utah University is designed to promote student success and provide a full immersion in the Engineering career field.
- All instructors in the SUU Engineering program are practicing engineers who have all worked in the Engineering field.
- The SUU Engineering program is accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), an endorsement that is required by most employers in the field.
Career and Salary Potential for Engineering Graduates
There are many different types of Engineering careers that start with the completion of an ABET accredited Engineering program like that offered at Southern Utah University. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics published the following salary and growth expectations for several of these positions:
|Position||Median average annual salary||Anticipated growth through 2022|
|Aerospace engineer||$103,720||7 percent|
|Agricultural engineer||$74,000||5 percent|
|Chemical engineer||$94,350||4 percent|
|Civil engineer||$79,340||20 percent|
|Electrical engineer||$89,630||4 percent|
|Environmental engineer||$80,890||15 percent|
|Industrial engineer||$78,860||5 percent|
|Landscape architect||$64,180||14 percent|
|Materials engineer||$85,150||1 percent|
|Mechanical engineer||$80,580||5 percent|
|Petroleum engineer||$130,280||26 percent|
Campus Opportunities for Engineering Majors
- Engineering Club
- Engineers Without Borders
Engineering Courses You May Take
- Engineering in 21st Century – Through observation of hands-on applications, explore the contributions of science, engineering, and technology in today’s world.
- Strength of Materials – Examine the properties and behavior of various materials under stress.
- Thermodynamics – Gain an understanding of the key principles of thermodynamics.
Find Out More
Contact information for department resources
Program Contact: Matthew Roberts