Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature
Read and write your way into an exciting career
Do you often find yourself getting lost in a good book? The bachelor degree program in English Literature at Southern Utah University allows students to escape into the pages of William Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf, Charles Dickens and other great writers. English is consistently one of the top 10 most popular bachelor degree programs at SUU because of the excellent education provided by published professors and experiential learning opportunities designed to assist students in their future careers. Imagine the thrill of discussing great literary works near the majestic mountains that surround Cedar City, Utah. The English Literature program offers robust reading and writing courses in many venues to prepare students to think critically, problem solve, and write clearly about their readings. No matter where your career leads after college, these are skills that will serve you well. This bachelor’s degree program is also excellent preparation for graduate or law school.
The English literature program at SUU gives students flexibility to personalize their education. For example, many students choose to pursue a bachelor’s degree in English Literature and receive a secondary education teaching certificate, which prepares them to teach at the high school level. When you graduate from Southern Utah University with a bachelor degree in English Literature, you will possess a broad understanding of writing and literary styles and just as important problem solving and communication skills to help you successfully enter a diverse range of excellent jobs.
Why Choose SUU for English Literature Studies?
- After college, graduates of SUU’s English degree program have gone on to be successful writers, secondary education teachers, university professors, editors, librarians, lawyers and parents.
- Current SUU English literature professors provide unmatched networking and mentoring opportunities for their students and have published novels, short stories, poems, creative non-fiction, and scholarly articles on a variety of subjects.
- English majors can work in SUU’s Writing Center, as tutors for introductory English courses, or as faculty assistants.
Career and Salary Potential for English Literature GraduatesThe career possibilities for those with a bachelor degree in English Literature are broad. Many Southern Utah University graduates have gone on to publishing companies, prestigious law schools and teaching in high schools and universities. Knowledge of literature can enrich lives in any career by enhancing your creative perspective and ability to write and communicate effectively.
Campus Opportunities for English Literature Majors
- Sigma Tau Delta
- Literature Study Abroad
- Writing Center Fellow
- Writing Tutor
- Internships in Literary Arts Administration
- Internships for the Kolob Canyon Review, SUU’s original literature and art publication
English Literature Courses You May Take
American Literature--Study the beginnings of American Literature up through World War II while reading and writing about many of American Literary classics.
British Literature--Study the beginnings of British Literature through the present while reading and writing about many British Literary classics.
Literary Genres--Learn and collaborate with students and faculty to understand a specific literary genre such as the novel, poetry, film, prose or memoir.
Other Related Programs to Check Out
- English: Creative Writing Emphasis
- English: Secondary Education Emphasis
- Communication: Media Studies Emphasis
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education