Though SUU does not host a pre-med major, we offer the support and guidance to ensure students interested in medical careers are well positioned for acceptance into medical school. SUU students majoring in biology, chemistry and human nutrition have gained admission to top medical schools by completing the required pre-med pre-requisites while pursuing their undergraduate degree. College of Science academic advisors and pre-med faculty advisors work closely with our pre-med students to chart the ideal academic program for their success.
POINTS of DISTINCTION
- Students graduating from SUU’s College of Science enjoy high placement rates in medical school. In 2009, 24 of our 25 students who applied to medical school were accepted (94%); in 2008, 19 of 20 students enjoyed acceptance (95%).
- We work closely with the Rural Health Scholars program on our campus, providing resume-building activities to ensure our graduates are competitive in the medical school admissions process.
- Dean Wayne M. Samuelson, of the University of Utah School of Medicine, recently reported that SUU has the best pre-med program in the state.
Professional careers in medicine, various specialties and medical research
Pre-med advising is done by academic advisors, faculty members and the Rural Health Scholars program, providing each student with a personalized plan for academic and professional success.
- Campus chapter of Alpha Epsilon Delta, the Premedical Honor Society
- Opportunities for job shadowing, service learning and leadership training through the Rural Health Scholars program