Utah Residency Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I obtain residency status for tuition purposes?
    You may complete a Residency Application and provide required documentation to the Admissions Office. The application will then be reviewed for compliance with Utah Code and the Utah State Board of Regents Policy and Procedures.
  • How long do I have to live in Utah?
    You must live in Utah for twelve (12) or more continuous months immediately before the term for which you are applying without leaving for a total of thirty (30) days or more during the twelve months.
  • Can I obtain residency status with credit hours?
    Yes, you may apply if you have completed sixty credit hours from Utah colleges or universities while living in the state of Utah.
  • If I leave the state of Utah, can I still be a resident when school starts for the next semester?
    If you are a resident and leave the state of Utah for a short period of time without establishing ties in another state you may not lose your Utah eligibility for tuition purposes.
  • What if I didn't go to school or work during the last twelve months?
    You must provide verification that you were physically in the State. If you have done anything on a regular basis that can be verified by a community/business leader, you may provide a letter (on official letterhead) or other documentation to substantiate this fact.
  • Are there circumstances where residency can be earned before living in Utah for 12 months or completing sixty credit hours?
    Yes, one of the following may apply:
    • Move to Utah as a result of full-time permanent employment.
    • One or both of your parents have permanently moved to Utah; you are their dependent, single and under age 24.
    • Married to a Utah Resident.
    • Student or parents are in the military and stationed in Utah or have declared Utah as Home of Record and file Utah state tax returns.
    • An American Indian enrolled on the tribal rolls of a tribe whose reservation or trust lands lie partly or wholly within Utah; or whose border is at any point contiguous with the border of Utah.
  • If I, or my parents, work in Utah but live in another state, would I be a resident?
    You must reside within the State, regardless of where you or your parents work.
  • What if I was born in Utah but my family moved away?
    If residency is established in another state you will no longer be a resident of Utah. Generally, a minor's residency remains with the parents.
  • My family owns property and pays taxes in Utah, would I be a resident? The principal residency must be in the state of Utah, regardless of whether you own property or pay taxes in the state.
  • When can I apply for residency?
    A completed residency application can be submitted thirty (30) days prior to the first day of class and no later than the end of the third week of the term for which reclassification is desired.
  • How long does it take for a decision to be made? A decision will be made within a few weeks of receipt of the completed application and required documentation.
  • Where do I turn in my residency application?
    You may turn the application in the Admissions Office at Southern Utah University.
  • May I register prior to obtaining residency?
    You may register at any time you would like. If residency is granted, your records will be adjusted.
  • If I have received the WUE or Legacy scholarship, is there any way in which I can obtain residency?
    Any credits or time spent in Utah will disqualify you from reclassification as a resident if you have received either the WUE waiver or Legacy scholarship in the previous twelve months or sixty credits. Exceptions are if you marry a Utah resident, parents move to Utah, or you join the Utah National Guard.
  • If I am applying for residency after living in Utah for one year, can my parent's claim me on their tax return if I lived with them for part of the prior year?
    No. If you moved to Utah for fall semester one year and are applying for resident status the next fall, your parents can not claim you on the prior year tax return.
  • Can I appeal the decision if my application is denied?
    Yes, you may submit a written request for you application to be reviewed by the Residency Appeals Committee. The Committee shall make an independent examination of the issues presented and shall make a final determination of the resident status. Appeals may be given to the Admissions Office for submission to the Committee prior to the end of the third week of class for the semester the application was denied.