Additional Credit Information

SUU provides the opportunity for students to obtain additional credit options that include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Transfer credits from another institution
  • (AP) Advanced Placement
  • (IB) International Baccalaureate
  • (CLEP) College Level Examination
  • Credit by Exam for a particular course of study
  • Foreign language
  • Individual Study
  • SB 196 (Math Competency)

A maximum of 30 semester credits of experiential, portfolio, or test credit may be applied toward degree requirements.

Transfer Credits

(AP) Advanced Placement

  • Receive up to 8 semester hours of university credit for high school students who receive a score of 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement Examination or Portfolio
  • Credits earned through AP Testing may be used to fill some of the general education requirements of the University
  • See a listing of courses filled by AP Credits

(IB) International Baccalaureate

  • High school students completing the International Baccalaureate Diploma will receive:
    • 30 credits
    • Knowledge areas of general education will be waived
    • The core areas of English, Mathematics, Digital Literacy, Information Literacy, and American Institutions must still be completed.
      • Some of those areas may be waived with a score of 5, 6, or 7 in a higher level exam for the appropriate area.
  • Those not completing the diploma may receive a maximum of 8 credits per higher level exam with a score of 5, 6, or 7.
    • Students will receive the same credit given Advanced Placement in the same subjects.
  • Credit is not given for standard (subsidiary) exams.
  • Students should request the posting of the eligible credit through the Registrar’s Office.
  • See a listing of IB courses.

(CLEP) College Level Examination Program

  • A student may earn credit and complete some general education requirements by successfully completing selected CLEP exams.
  • Information regarding CLEP exams and the credits a student can earn with CLEP is available through the Testing Center.

Credit by Examination

  • A maximum of 16 semester hours of credit can be acquired in any one academic discipline by special course examination.
  • Permission to take special examinations for course credit must be obtained from the instructor.
    • Such permission will not be granted for the purpose of a change of grade if the student has already taken the course.
  • The following are general guidelines:
    • Credit by Exam is given only to students currently enrolled at SUU.
    • A maximum of 30 general education credit hours may be applied toward graduation from Credit by Exam & CLEP.
    • A maximum of 6 credit hours may be awarded in any one area of general education from a combination of Credit by Exam and CLEP.
    • Credit by Exam may be granted a standard letter grade or pass/fail as agreed upon by the instructor and student.

Complete the following steps:

  1. Fill out the Credit by Exam form
  2. Pay at the Cashier’s Office: $6 per credit hour (a maximum of $96)
  3. Take form and proof of payment to instructor
  4. Take Test
  5. Instructor will turn in form with grade earned to the Registrar’s Office

Foreign Language Credit by Examination

  • A student may receive credit for a foreign language test taken at SUU or at another school.
  • Special examination credit for languages will be for a pass/fail grade only.
  • Students may test out of a maximum of 16 credit hours per language.

Complete the following steps:

  1. Pick up form at the Language Department
  2. Pay at the Cashier’s Office: $6 per credit hour (a maximum of $96)
  3. Drop off form, with proof of payment, to the Registrar’s Office

Individual Study

If a student needs a course for graduation and a scheduling or other conflict necessitates it, a student may complete the course through individual study.

  • A learning contract is developed and approved by the instructor and the department chair
  • The student has one semester to complete the course, just like another course offered during a semester

Complete the following steps:

  1. On the Individual Study Course Learning Contract, complete the portion to be filled out by the student
  2. Submit the form to the instructor and department chair for approval.
  3. Return the approved contract to the Registrar's Office
  4. The Registrar’s Office will register the student in the course.
  5. The student pays the course fee at the Cashier’s Office

Credit by Portfolio

  • Credit by Portfolio is designed specifically for people who have experience manifested by a portfolio and documented as their personal work by records or letters from those aware of the activity.
  • The portfolio should already exist as a result of previous work and should not be something created for the purpose of gaining credit.
  • The academic department granting credit must administer credit by portfolio on a course-by-course basis.
    • The faculty, teaching the course for which credit is granted, award the pass/fail grade and credit.
  • Credits by portfolio are excluded from residency for a bachelor’s degree.

Credit for Military Service

  • The University may grant credit to students currently enrolled at the University who have served in the armed forces.
  • Applications for credit are made by submitting the DD214 or DD295 form to the Registrar's Office.

Internship Program

  • Internships are available to students enrolled in a degree program and who have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher and have completed a minimum of 30 semester hours.
  • Some academic departments will grant credit for internship experiences, however, you will not automatically receive academic credit for your work experience.
    • If you are interested in receiving academic credit, please make an appointment with your Department Internship Coordinator.
    • If you are granted academic credit for your experience, your program advisor will inform you of any additional requirements you will need to meet in order to receive credit.
    • If Internship is taken for credit, grading will be on a pass/fail basis.
    • Tuition is charged for all credit.
  • In departments allowing internship credit to apply to major/minor requirements, no more than 12 credit hours towards a bachelor's degree may be earned through internships.
  • Other departmental or employer requirements may apply, which may include a higher GPA and other criteria. Check with your departmental Internship Coordinator.
  • An Internship Permission Form must be completed and turned in to the Registrar’s Office at the time of registration.
  • For complete information on internships visit the Career Center