Master of Arts - Professional Communication
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I attend graduate school?
- Attending graduate school helps build the necessary research and application skills to be successful in communication related jobs. More and more, individuals are required to have master degrees for entry level jobs and especially for mid-management jobs. The SUU degree provides you with the skills and knowledge to be an independent researcher in the public relations/advertising, broadcast or corporate field.
What is required for admission?
- Please review the admission information for full details.
Where and how do I apply?
When will I know if I am accepted?
- You will receive a letter from the department detailing your status. At anytime you may call the Graduate Director (435-586-7970) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
What kind of financial aid/assistantships are available?
- We have assistantships for teaching and other support for graduate students working with faculty on research, helping with co-curricular activities or advising in our newly created Speech Presentation Center. Our financial aid office should be able to help you with other questions.
What courses are offered?
- Review the course information for class titles and descriptions.
Will I be able to adapt my degree to get the education I want?
- Yes, you will work with an advisor to plan a program of study that can take you out of the department to other master’s programs on campus for a variety of course skills.
What is the cost?
What credit hours are required?
- The master's degree in Professional Communication requires a minimum of 36 semester hours of graduate coursework, an applied research-tool competency and culminates in a graduate project, internship or thesis complete with a thorough oral examination of the project results, internship portfolio, or thesis. Students complete 30 hours of course work, followed by 6 credit hours for either the thesis, a project or internship.
How long does it take to finish a degree?
- Our degree is a 30 credit degree plus your capstone thesis, project, or internship (total of 36 hours). If you take 9 credits each term, you could finish in two years.
- The degree must be completed within six years of continuous enrollment.
What is the deadline to apply?
- Fall Semester - July 15th
- Spring Semester - October 15th
Can I start midway through the year?
- Yes, you can start the program either fall or spring semester.
Is the program available online?
What jobs have your graduates held?
- Our program is fairly new, but SUU graduates are working as teachers in community colleges, college recruiters, Upward Bound, television studios, marketing directors, and e-vent planning. Others have entered Ph.D. programs at prestigious universities.
- If you have questions that have not been answered, please feel free to contact the Graduate Director.