Graduate Studies in Education

Policy on Transfer Credit

Policy at SUU is approved by the SUU Board of Trustees and subsequently by the Utah Board of Regents. Policy cannot be circumvented.

Credit transferred from an accredited Institution of Higher Education may be considered towards the requirements of a Master of Education Degree based on the following information.

Policy 6.52 Graduate Admissions states:

Transfer of Graduate Credit from Other Institutions

  1. Requests for credit to be transferred toward a graduate degree at the University are reviewed and a decision as to accepting them is made by the student's program and communicated to the student by the program. The desired transferred credit must represent graduate-level work relevant to the degree being sought, with course content and level of instruction resulting in student competencies at least equivalent to those of currently enrolled students at the University as determined by the program. Students seeking transfer credit must provide the following:
    • Published course description,
    • Course requirements, including assignments and grading criteria,
    • Information on the textbook, types of tools, methods, etc. that were used to engage students in learning, and
    • Official transcripts sent directly to the Graduate School from the prior university noting the earned credit for the course.
  2. The following guidelines apply:
    • Grades earned on transferred courses must be equivalent to B- or better.
    • Graduate internship credit transferred from another institution will be considered for transfer credit. Other courses taken on a pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis do not receive transfer credit.
    • Thesis credit, or credit for a master's project, does not receive transfer credit.
    • Students, after beginning their graduate program of study at the University, and wishing to take one or more courses at another university for graduate credit, must first consult their program. If permission is granted, the procedure for transferring the credits earned to the University is the same as described above.
    • Non-credit courses, including lifetime learning seminars and programs, or courses taken for Continuing Education do not receive transfer credit.
  3. Upon approval by the program, up to 12 credit hours required for the master's degree may be transferred from another approved institution.
  4. Credits transferred have a life of ten years from when earned.

Graduate Credit is defined as coursework taken at an accredited Institution of Higher Education at the 5000 (sometimes 500) level, 6000 (600) level, or 7000 (700) level. You may use 6 hours of credit at the 5000 level along with 6 hours at the 6000 or 7000 level; except if you complete an entire, state approved endorsement using 5000 level graduate courses, in which case you may use 12 hours of 5000 level course work--provided they are less than 10 years old at the time your degree is awarded, as explained above. No workshop or conference participation credit, nor portfolios (not created as part of a regular graduate course) or other demonstrated competency measures can be used in place of actual college course work.

If you have any questions, we will be happy to evaluate your transcripts for possible transfer credit at any time.