Earn Credit and a Unique Experience With Study Abroad

Posted: February 11, 2020 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 2 minutes

Study AbroadThe Office of Learning Abroad at Southern Utah University offers a variety of memorable programs. There is something each student can enjoy, and no two programs are the same. 

But, what even is study abroad? You might be wondering why should you consider signing up. Let’s break down those questions and hopefully convince you to study abroad with SUU!

Studying abroad is a way not only to earn college credit with either discounted, matched, or free tuition, but studying abroad is also a unique, productive way to travel. It’s a road to experience life outside of the United States, and a pathway to encounter different cultures. 

Yuri Bertacchi, a junior majoring in communication, has participated in several of SUU’s study abroad programs; he’s visited South Africa and New Zealand, and planning to visit Japan and Guatemala this summer. 

“Since 2015, I’ve started traveling the world and let me tell you, it has been the best decision,” Bertacchi said. “You find yourself in a different reality, surrounded by people that don’t speak the language, surrounded by new cultures, beautiful places and much more. Studying abroad has completely changed my life and I will keep traveling for the rest of my life.”

Rebecca Saunders, a junior majoring in exercise science and minoring in early childhood development, recently completed a study abroad program in Australia. 

“I learned so much about myself and the world,” Saunders said. “I gained a greater appreciation for different ways of life, and I made some wonderful friends. I’d recommend traveling abroad to everyone!” 

Tayah Nelson is majoring in English and minoring in management. She’s spending the last semester of her senior year in the United Arab Emirates. 

“My study abroad experience so far has been incredible,” Nelson said. “The United Arab Emirates has such a diverse population that I feel as if I've hit the jackpot and traveled everywhere at once. Through the friends I've already made, the different cultures I get to be a part of, and the inevitable obstacles that I've overcome, I feel as if I have grown as a person as well as a student. The campus and the country are gorgeous and welcoming. I'm so excited to see what else the semester has in store for me!”

Southern Utah University’s study abroad program ranked #1 in the Intermountain West for the 2017-2018 academic year. SUU offers programs to dozens of countries throughout the year. For more information about studying abroad at SUU, visit the Office of Learning Abroad either in the Sharwan Smith Student Center or online

Tags: Study Abroad