WUE: Your Path to Reduced Out-of-State Tuition Costs

Posted: October 31, 2023 | Author: Abbie Cochrane | Read Time: 2 minutes

A view of the front of the SUU Library building shining in the sun

It can be confusing to sort through numerous scholarship options when applying to college. When it comes to out-of-state tuition prices, scholarships are an even bigger focus during the application process. With so many scholarships vying for your attention, there is a solution available that you may never have considered: the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) (pronounced ‘woo-wee’), a regional tuition savings agreement built to help students attend higher education institutions in other states.

Originally founded by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) in 1987, WUE makes it possible for students seeking higher education to do so in any of 16 member states and territories in the western United States (listed here) by enrolling as nonresident students. With over 160 public two-year and four-year colleges (including community colleges) and universities participating, nonresident students who enroll through WUE are eligible to pay significantly less of their selected institution’s nonresident tuition. Annually, this can save you an average of around $11,000 on the cost of tuition. See if the school you’re interested in is part of WUE

WICHE state/U.S. territory residents may be eligible for tuition savings at nearly two hundred WUE institutions. However, living in a WICHE state and applying to a WUE school in another state does not result in an automatic award, regardless of eligibility. When applying, keep in mind that there is no “standard” WUE application. Some schools have a unique application for those interested in WUE, and some are as simple as checking a box on your application to request consideration for WUE benefits. Certain schools have special eligibility requirements or annual WUE admissions quotas (which can be found on the WUE Savings Finder), and you can contact the office at your chosen institution that administers WUE to learn more about any additional information. Additionally, many institutions limit the number of students awarded with WUE each academic year, so be sure to request WUE on your application. 

As far as transfer students are concerned, it is up to the university of choice. Most WUE institutions accept transfer students, but there are some schools where first-year students are exclusively selected. For students who change their major, WUE may still provide funds if the new major is in line with WUE-approved majors, which can be found on the WUE Savings Finder. Each school decides what majors and degrees are offered at a WUE rate. Some universities offer the majority of their majors at a WUE rate, while others only offer a handful due to the degree’s high demand and capacity for WUE acceptance. 

To see more commonly asked questions and answers about WUE, visit their website, or talk to a campus financial advisor. 

Southern Utah University is happy to be part of the WUE collective and takes pride in helping provide nonresident students with financial support as they join the flock. Learn more about SUU’s WUE policies or on their website, or contact the Financial Aid Office. View available SUU scholarships. 

Discover your eligibility for WUE today!

Tags: Financial Aid CurStu Campus Resources Financial Wellness Admissions

Related Posts