Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

Feb 1st - April 14th
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays (excluding spring break week)
5:30 - 8pm
BUS 118

Walk-in appointments only

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $57,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.

In order for us to prepare your return, you must have the following items:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Original copy of social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers if desiring direct deposit (such as a blank check)
  • Total amount spent on tuition and books during the tax year, if applicable
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099), if applicable
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number, if applicable
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

Married-Filing-Jointly: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

Students: Please find out if anyone is claiming you on their tax return as a dependent

You can also file your own taxes for free online at www.myfreetaxes.com. It will redirect you to H&R Block (H&R Block owns the site, and yes, it is still free).

Please note that there are limitations on the returns we are certified to prepare and file. If you have any questions please contact vita@suu.edu.