Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Dates for 2017 TBA
In order for us to prepare your return, you must have the following items:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Original copy of social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers if desiring direct deposit (such as a blank check)
- Total amount spent on tuition and books during the tax year, if applicable
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099), if applicable
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number, if applicable
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Married-Filing-Jointly: To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
Students: Please find out if anyone is claiming you on their tax return as a dependent
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $53,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
You can also file your own taxes for free online at www.myfreetaxes.com/SUU. It will redirect you to H&R Block (H&R Block owns the site, and yes, it is still free).