Students with Families Eligible for Child Care Assistance

Published: December 01, 2014 | Author: Jessica Young | Read Time: 2 minutes

New and continuing Southern Utah University students with families may be eligible to receive child care assistance from the Child Care Access Means Parents in School (CCAMPIS) grant while attending classes this coming spring semester 2015.

Applications are now open through December 29, 2014 and must be returned by then to Lynne Brown, Student Support Center director. Funding is allocated on a case-by-case basis and makes it easier for this group of SUU’s population to enjoy academic success and persist toward degree completion.

SUU has been allocating funds to student families in need for the last five years. Funds allotted for the 2015-2016 academic year total $130,129 and can assist more than 45 student families.

“The grant helps keep student parents enrolled in school until they have completed their programs,” Brown said.  “During the first four years SUU retained 78 percent of the CCAMPIS parents.”

All student families chosen to receive funds are low-income families and according to Georgia Thompson, director of the Center for Women and Families at SUU, in great need.

“We are very pleased to have the grant available for eligible parents, and is a great asset to them, giving the necessary funds to cover child care expenses,” said Thompson added.   

Applications are available online; at the SUU Center for Women and Families, Sharwan Smith Student Center 175; or from the Student Support Center, Student Center 206C.

Parents who are enrolled in the program for the current fall semester do not need to complete a full re-application but do need to complete the 980 form with their selected child care provider.

The day care subsidy amount is based on a sliding scale, which takes into account the parents’ adjusted gross income, the number of credits for which they are enrolled and whether or not both parents are students.  Students must be full-time to be considered for grant assistance and they also must have a 2.3 or higher GPA, give four volunteer hours to their child care provider per month, and participate in family programming at least two hours per month.

Students with questions may visit the Center for Women and Families or call (435) 865-8752. Student may also contact the Student Support Center and visit with Lynne Brown or call (435) 586-7771.  Applications must be returned to one of the above-mentioned centers by December 29, 2014.

Contact Information:

Contact the Office of Marketing Communication

This article was published more than 3 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.