SUU Seal (for official use only)
Print Friendly and PDF

POLICY #6.47
SUBJECT: Transfer Credits


The purpose of this Policy is to establish policy and procedures on transfer credits.




  1. General. The University awards transfer credit according to guidelines in state and institutional policies. It reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at other institutions of higher education. In general, it is University policy to accept credits earned at institutions fully accredited by their institutional accrediting association, provided that the granting institution is listed within the Database of Postsecondary Institutions and Programs and is in good standing with one (1) of accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
    1. The University subscribes to (1) statutory mandates regarding transfer credits, (2) statewide policy on transfer and articulation among Utah public colleges and universities, and (3) articulation agreements between the University and other institutions.
    2. An Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree earned at any USHE institution will meet the General Education requirements of all other USHE institutions. If a student has completed all institutional General Education requirements, a Letter of Completion (issued by the sending institution confirming General Education completion) or a Certificate of General Education completion shall be accepted by the receiving USHE institution.
  2. Class Standing. A student's class standing is determined by the total number of transfer credits recorded by the University:

    Class Standing
    Freshman 0 - 29 semester credits
    Sophomore 30 - 59 semester credits
    Junior 60 - 89 semester credits
    Senior 90+ semester credits

    Satisfying University graduation requirements depends not only on the number of credits completed (a minimum of 120 for bachelor’s degree programs) but also on completing all University, college, and program requirements.
  3. Quarter vs. Semester Credits. SUU operates on a semester calendar system and awards semester credit. To convert quarter credits to semester credits, multiply by two-thirds. To convert semester to quarter credits, multiply by 1.5. For example, a student who earns 45 credits at an institution on a quarter calendar would have earned 30 semester credits at SUU.
  4. Clock Hour Transfer Work. Transferring institutions that utilize clock hours instead of credit hours will have their credits evaluated by granting 1 academic credit per 45 clock hours, unless the University has a separate articulation agreement with a given institution.
  5. Transfer Credit Evaluation. After an admitted student pays the application fee, the Registrar’s Office facilitates a course-by-course evaluation of transfer credits for general education. One copy of the evaluation is given to the student. The information recorded on the transfer credit evaluation, including the transfer of credits and the transfer GPA, becomes part of the student's permanent record at SUU. The appropriate academic department evaluates major and minor courses. If a student applies to an academic program with special admission requirements, transfer coursework and the transfer GPA may be considered. The evaluation is not an official transcript. The official SUU transcript displays the student’s transfer GPA. Transfer grades are not included in the SUU institutional GPA, but are included in the student’s overall cumulative GPA.
  6. Applying Transfer Credit to Degree Requirements. Credits that do not apply to specific requirements may still be used as electives toward meeting the minimum credit total required for graduation.
  7. Alternative Credit Options. SUU may award general credit for work or life experience, Advanced Placement, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate, or other methods. Consult the General Catalog for information on alternative credit options. Students may also arrange with a department to challenge specific courses via credit by examination if the same knowledge has been gained outside a formal educational setting.
  8. Specific Restrictions on Transfer Credit
    1. Concurrent Enrollment. Additional credit restrictions may apply when students enrolled in high school have been awarded college-level credit by another college or university, and the coursework was completed on the high school campus rather than the college campus. Students are required to send all of their higher education coursework for evaluation. Concurrent Enrollment coursework is evaluated the same as any other college-level course. Contact the Registrar’s Office for more information.
    2. Community college credit. All credits transferred from two-year colleges may be used toward graduation requirements, except remedial coursework, but a student must still complete minimal coursework requirements at SUU.
    3. Military credit. Joint Services Transcript and other military credit is evaluated in the Veterans Resource and Support Center in conjunction with the student’s academic advisor. Military credit received from accredited U.S. service schools will be evaluated similar to credit from other accredited institutions.
    4. International Credit. International credit evaluations are processed through the International Student and Scholar Services Office in conjunction with academic departments. Similar to students with credit from U.S. institutions, students with credit from schools outside of the U.S. must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, and credit will only be recorded from institutions that maintain a recognized accreditation in their country that is comparable to college-level accreditation within the United States. For a complete articulation of credits, students must submit a course syllabus, in English, for each class listed on their transcript. A course syllabus includes information about the content of the course. This will enable SUU to determine if equivalent credit can be given for students’ transfer credits. If course syllabi are not submitted, students’ coursework will be transferred as elective credit.
    5. Residency requirement. Candidates for a bachelor’s degree must complete at least 30 credits through SUU. A minimum of 20 of these credits must be completed in upper-division courses, of which at least 10 credits must be completed in courses required by the student’s major. Each major may have requirements in addition to SUU graduation requirements. Candidates for an associate’s degree must complete a minimum of 24 out of the 60 credits through SUU.
    6. Courses Receiving No Credit. The University reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its degree programs. Some general categories of courses never receive transfer credit. Examples include:
      1. Courses below college level (usually numbered below 1000);
      2. Repeated courses or courses with duplicate subject content;
      3. Coursework earned at an institution that did not hold at least candidacy status with its institutional accrediting association when the course work was taken; and
      4. Courses offered as non-credit continuing education units.



The responsible office for this Policy is the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs. For questions about transfer credits, contact the Registrar's Office.


Date Approved: January 31, 2003

Amended: November 29, 2007; March 19, 2021