Marketing, Event Planning and Leadership Develop Student Talents

Posted: January 23, 2017 | Author: Samantha Burfiend | Read Time: 2 minutes

Senior communication major Karlee Hirschi is a Cedar City native with big dreams, and a love for her small college town. Karlee started school with a passion for writing, fashion and sports, and has grown to be a leader in SUUSA’s marketing team.

Karlee Hirschi

As a freshman, Karlee took an entry level COMM 1010 class for a GE requirement. At the time, Karlee planned to be an Elementary Education major, but after taking the class from Ellen Treanor, Karlee realized she wanted to be just like her professor. Karlee changed her major before midterms.

“I owe everything to Ellen Treanor. She helped me realize what I wanted to do,” said Karlee.

Karlee became the executive marketing director for SUUSA this fall and has quickly learned how to make the student body’s marketing thrive. Karlee’s changes to SUU’s marketing have included the expansion of SUU’s Toilet Times to every building on campus; adding table tents to the Sharwan Smith Student Center; digital signage available on SUU’s app; and A-frames throughout campus.

“I have a great team behind me and so much support,” said Karlee. “I am so grateful for the experience I have had.”

Karlee said her event planning class with Vice President of Alumni and Community Relations Mindy Benson has helped her with SUUSA’s bigger events like MKTO and Homecoming. Her experience working with Vice President Benson taught her a lot about leadership and how to never give up on her goals.

“This experience has been one of the best learning opportunities for me,” said Karlee.

In the future, Karlee hopes to be a successful blogger or work in public relations, and said her experience of leading 15 SUUSA members has given her a chance to develop valuable leadership skills for future endeavors.

“I love writing, and planning events so much,” said Karlee. “I can't wait for what the future holds.”

Photo by Michelle Gray

Learn more about SUU's department of communication.

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Student College of Humanities and Social Sciences