Nursing Student Excels in Mayo Clinic Internship

Posted: January 12, 2017 | Author: Samantha Burfiend | Read Time: 1 minutes

Sadie Nemelka, a senior nursing student from Syracuse, UT, has always wanted to work in medicine. With the guidance of Southern Utah University, she was able to take another step toward her dreams by completing a prestigious nursing internship at a Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

Sadie Nemelka

Through the internship Sadie was able to job shadow assigned nurses as they cared for patients after a major brain or spinal surgery. Sadie was able to help patients with IVs, take vital signs, set up feeding tubes and complete neurological assessments with guidance from professionals working in the field.

Away from neurosurgery, Sadie was able to gain experience in the Neuromedical/Epilepsy Unit, Neuro-Rehabilitation Unit, Pediatric ICU and surgery and the Respiratory Care Unit.

“My favorite floating experience was when I went to the Intermediate Special Care Nursery with infants in need of a little extra care after birth,” said Sadie. “All of these different experiences introduced me to whole new realms of nursing and allowed me to branch out from my comfort zone in neurosurgery.”

Sadie was one of the few hand-selected students encouraged by her SUU professors to apply for the internship. Sadie believes everything she has done at SUU has helped her grow into a more confident, professional person. She is thankful for her mentors and the many opportunities she has had during her time at SUU.

After graduation, Sadie plans to follow her dreams by one day working with children at the Primary Children's Hospital.“Not only did I learn a lot about how to be a better nurse, but I learned how to get out of my comfort zone and do things I've never done before,” said Sadie. “Ultimately, my experience at the Mayo Clinic was indescribable and very fulfilling.”

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Student