100 Study Tips from College Students

Posted: September 20, 2018 | Author: Southern Utah University | Read Time: 12 minutes

student studying in libraryEarning a college degree is a difficult, yet rewarding experience. You’ll need to dedicate hours to studying, researching, and learning your chosen major in order to become an expert in your field — but this doesn’t need to be a daunting task. We asked current students at Southern Utah University what their best study tips are and have compiled them here for you!

Check out these 100 tips for studying in college from current university students.

1. Flash cards!!! - @stacie_h11
  2. Find some peace and quiet, a good snack, and take the time for a mini dance party break! - @hollylujah17
  3. Put your phone where you can't see it. Out of sight, out of mind! - @jessiemh159
  4. Study a little bit everyday, and then review the week before. Make sure to set a time to study and stick with it. - @auriannaluker
  5. Take breaks! If you study a little bit at a time instead of cramming you retain more info 🙂 - @xx_cas97_xx
  6. Study while doing an activity, like walking on the treadmill or listening to music. Psychological studies show this helps you retain the information! - @hanndango
  7. I always make note cards then have someone quiz me with them. I also like to rewrite my notes. When I study I always have a snack near by and take 10 min breaks every 30 minutes or so. I have been doing it this way since high school haha! - @lilhayys
  8. Take good detailed notes in class, then before tests make your own handwritten study guide with the most important points from your notes. This makes you reread all of your notes & rewrite the main points. The more you hand write things the better you will remember! - @meag.durrant
  9. Making references to your own life and lingo.. if you can’t remember something, use something as a synonym you can remember - @kylewandel
  10. Study in the library!!! It helps you focus - @kenzie_ostler
  11. Study a week before the test!! Not the night of 😂 - @christian_elbakri
  12. Keep a detailed planner! Write every single thing you need to do and the times you should do them if you can! - @kittykooo
  13. Keep away from distractions while studying and try not to have multiple things going on such as cooking and studying or talking to a friend/family member while doing homework. - @x4nthos
  14. Music, and amazing roommates❤️ - @omgg.jordanh
  15. You need to be distraction free - @pvance27
  16. Put aside a specific time of day to study and stick to it!😊 - @autumnjohnson00
  17. I use the Brain Focus app which helps me stay on task and take regular breaks. It's the best! - @therealcdiz
  18. Study outdoors on a Sunday. Everything is so peaceful that day and there are a lot of beautiful places to go - @igor_lls
  19. Read out loud your notes, and sometimes teach them to someone else to help you remember better - @aspenbonzo
  20. Don’t be afraid to ask for help! - @haleyn96
  21. Find what works for you. Find your style and learn what works best for you. Whether that's music, group study, highlighting everything, or highlighting nothing, everyone has their own thing. - @ryan.sun13
  22. Ask for help when you need it! It saves a lot of time and stress, which makes reviewing material a lot easier 😁 - @__katiesandoval
  23. Find a group of people in your class to study with. Make a group chat and keep each other motivated when you’re not together. - @_whitney_liz_
  24. Have a roommate reward you with snacks when you finish certain tasks during studying! - @kamillaedwards
  25. Make study groups with people in your classes, check canvas OFTEN - @mgjst_1012
  26. Don’t be afraid to let yourself take breaks during your studying. Studying for 6 hours straight isn’t always the most effective if you’re in zombie mode. Let yourself study a few chapters and then watch an episode or take a break, it’ll be way more beneficial! - @jas.min__
  27. It's a mindset, try to be a better student and a better person that you were the day before. Work Hard, Dream Big. Remember, success does not just happen. 👌 - @totos42
  28. TAKE BREAKS TAKE BREAKS TAKE BREAKS TAKE BREAKS - @ashtonbarney5
  29. Buckle down and concentrate! Don’t let yourself get distracted- deleting social media helps me tons! - @ashland_n
  30. Check Canvas multiple times a day, and find a group from class to always study with and finish assignments. Having that accountability will help you finish things! - @_mallywally_
  31. Make a list of things that need to get done before each school night. Then, prioritize them. What needs to be done by the end of tomorrow? What’s important but not urgent? Etc. Doing this helps me keep track of things I need to get done, and there’s a sense of accomplishment when I cross something off a list! - @kellpelicano
  32. Flash cards, and read the material at least 3 different times! - @laurynbrunt
  33. Invest in a planner!! It makes life so much easier to know when you have to have things done. Also color code your highlighting so you can find things easily!! - @mackruff1217
  34. Flash Cards, Color Coded notes and a relaxing playlist always works for me! - @_lipsknot_
  35. Make a planner, focus on your priorities - @josephngoff
  36. I like setting a timer for each subject and doing as much as I can until the time is up! Then I can move on to the next subject guilt free 👍 - @lemonnadian
  37. Classical music - @lisannyoung
  38. Make it enjoyable. Get comfortable, have food and get it done - @joshuasunnyjohnson
  39. Get comfy, be in a spot you can focus & always have a snack & some water! - @graceculley15
  40. Study in intervals. I’ve learned that if all you do is study your brain shuts off. 30 minutes on, 15 off and repeat - @ballroomgirly
  41. Reward yourself every 30 minutes of studying! - @hales.schwank
  42. Put on a bop playlist that motivates but doesn't distract you! I usually do movie orchestral soundtracks like Lord of the Rings 😄 Also promise yourself to just work on it for 5 min and soon you'll find yourself working away - @all.journey
  43. Go to the library and grind all day😂 - @burgessbadass
  44. Rewrite your notes neatly and color code them. Redraw graphs and diagrams, if needed. Mark things in red if it seems like it might be on a test or was already on a quiz. - @reikittiy
  45. Do it over the course of a week, not all on one day!! - @abbey_colledge
  46. My best tip would be to stay ahead of the game as much as you can. Focus and take notes on things you read and go over those soon after taking them if possible. Review notes and or reading briefly before going to class or a test/quiz. That would be my tip. - @3200dgg
  47. Put away all your distractions- the worst thing you can do is have your phone by your side while you’re trying to buckle down. Go through the book and class notes together to see what’s really important - @cat902
  48. Study by yourself (study groups never work...) and find your nook where you can get the best studying done (library’s perfect for me) - @syd.beal405
  49. Use distractions as a reward, I tell myself after I master a section in my textbook I get a few minutes of social media. Also setting aside a time of day to do homework or study, if you finish everything you can use that time to review the things you feel need a refresher - @madd_herrera
  50. Try a lot of different studying techniques until you find out what works for you! For me it helps to study material a couple days in advance, and handwritten notes are always 💯 over computer notes - @macey_tripp
  51. Study long and hard, then look at all the funny memes the internet has to offer. - @casonpatterson
  52. Stay confident and get a good night's sleep. Eat breakfast everyday, even if its a piece of fruit, you'll do better on all of your assignments and tests. #THOR - @josephmackun
  53. Make flashcards or use quizlet to help with memorizing terms. Also, make or join a study group for your hardest classes! - @kayleergerlach
  54. Find a quiet place and give yourself breaks while you’re studying. And always have snacks(: - @corrin_peterson
  55. Never too old for flash cards! - @ellekucifer
  56. GO TO THE LIBRARY. Find what works for you, and stick to it. We all learn differently. - @dallintripp
  57. Flash cards always! Put your phone on airplane mode. - @nosrevilonire
  58. You gotta train yourself to keep your electronics away. I don’t even listen to music while I study because it will eventually lead me back to my phone to change songs which usually leads back to social media 😂 - @sstephenk
  59. Study bit by bit leading up to your exam or test. Cramming all at once makes it harder to remember everything you looked over. - @captain_m.v
  60. Pace yourself when you study. I always tell myself I’m going to study hard for 50 mins. And then after that, I take a minute break to walk around, be on my phone, go get a snack, and just take a breath. Then I get back after 10 minutes and do the same thing! Everyone needs breaks, it’s okay to let yourself have one! - @kayla_centeno
  61. I personally like to sit myself down and devote an hour a day and make sure you have no interruptions or distractions. - @loganbruh1543
  62. Get all your homework done at your favorite spot on campus, so that home can be a place of relaxation! - @courtnee_dawn
  63. Set time limits and force yourself to work on something for at least 10 minutes! You’ll either get really into it and 10 minutes will feel like nothing, or you can change it up and then come back to it later hopefully with new insights! - @alexandraroselives
  64. Keep an assignment journal or a planner to make sure that you have everything done for the day! - @nadbriland
  65. Listen to music from intense movies or video games. They are made to motivate you! 😊 - @jaydawalton
  66. Study in the library! Studying at home is a bit too distracting. - @lillewie47
  67. Get some buddies that are good influences and will give you confidence! Having good people around you is the best first step! - @taylor.m.chaffin
  68. I like to set timers for how long I think I should focus just on my homework (i.e. can’t touch my phone until the timer goes off). Snacks also help! - @angela_rh_woods
  69. It’s okay to cry for a little bit. But take your time, and do your easiest subjects first so you have more time to focus on your tougher classes! - @katieprat99
  70. Get out of your room! I find it easier to study when I'm not tempted to get in bed or get too comfortable. It helps keep me focused and engaged in what I'm working on. - @adulting.is.overrated
  71. Have study buddies who keep you focused. Also always have lots of snacks so you don't distracted by your hunger in the middle of doing homework. - @mojo1124
  72. Use small snacks as rewards! When I have to study a textbook for every like 5 pages studied I give myself a few m&m’s! - @its__mayzee
  73. Studying with a group!!! Using a planner to spread out study topics up to the actual test. - @jessica_anne_95
  74. Use a planner!! Prioritize all of your assignments, and make sure you study in a no-distraction environment. - @harlee_maxwell
  75. I know everyone has different things that work for them, but I do best in a really quiet place with no distractions! I think it’s wise to give yourself breaks while you study. - @teridawnhaws
  76. Flashcards!! Its a great way to quiz yourself if you don't have anyone to help quiz you. - @jbellajolley
  77. Use a planner to be sure you do everything in time and don't have to cram (so much) and stress. Turn off the TV and music so you can focus. you'll finish quicker with better concentration! - @samthomps__
  78. Go to the library to get away from distractions at home. - @t0ri_in_w0nderland
  79. Set goals and then make yourself stick to them. Make sure as you are studying to take it in increments. Study for an hour, take a 10 minute break to walk around outside or get some fresh air. This helps me stay focused and motivated! - @desmynwool16
  80. I use the Pomodoro Technique which was taught to me by a past professor at SUU. It helps me study for long periods of time without getting too fatigued. - @josegonzo18
  81. Go to the library! There are less distractions there so it keeps you more focused:') - @mal.barker
  82. Give yourself incentives! Read one chapter in your textbook, then reward yourself with an episode of Frasier (what I’m currently watching now). 🙌🏻 - @alliewyattolsen
  83. Push yourself to a whole new level. And do it for you not anyone else!! You have to want to be here. - @giraffelover1119
  84. Flash cards! Sticky notes! Practice problems! Rereading the chapter! Find what works for you. Everyone is different. - @nutmeggiemeg
  85. Having a group of friends to study with helps me a ton! Even when we are studying different things, if we are all trying to stay focused we encourage each other and keep each other accountable - @sbriana916
  86. Give yourself enough time to go over the material. Go over it multiple times and in different ways if you have to. And don't beat yourself up if it doesn't stick right away! 💪 - @austintylereddy
  87. ALWAYS pack snacks 😂 - @kylwha
  88. Snacks - @kiana_lake9
  89. Study groups, flash cards, and no procrastinating 😂 - @lesslieeeee_
  90. Bring snacks and make flash cards! - @dev_nw_llson
  91. Confine to a room on campus away from food and wallet - @mattandfunke
  92. See professors during their office hours!! - @celeste.lane
  93. Don’t be afraid to give yourself a break and ALWAYS bring snacks. A study buddy doesn’t hurt either, two minds can be better than one! - @alexawilleford
  94. Math book to the head works the best!💪🤪 - @zach1972lrbeast
  95. Look into different methods that work best for you. Pick the top three and switch it up each day of the week. Then you’re ready for different types of test questions. Also try and teach someone the material.
  96. It really helps! - @cleoneburrows43
  97. Get help before it's too late. Concepts stack on top of each other, so if you don't understand the basics, it makes the next step impossible. All of the professors whom I have asked for help from have given it to me. They truly want you to do well in their class. - @kayleemiddlebrook
  98. Setting goals for studying but taking timed breaks to let your body and brain stay active. 😁😁 - @madison_softley
  99. Do a little bit everyday ♥️♥️♥️ - @the.brimhall.life
  100. Spend 15 minutes working on a problem, then if you're still stuck, get help. Also, working in a space where everyone else is working gives you more incentive to work. - @lightstar49

And if all else fails….
  101. just wing it - @tcollet30

Check out the original post on Instagram:

View this post on Instagram

📚What are your best study tips/strategies? We are writing a blog post and want your input!✏ First 💯 comments will win SUU swag!!🎉❤ #TBirdNation

A post shared by Southern Utah University (@suutbirds) on

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Student