Meet Our Professors: Jennifer McKenzie, Special Education

Posted: November 09, 2018 | Author: Kenzie Lundberg | Read Time: 2 minutes

Jennifer McKenzie

With over 20 years of experience in special education, Jennifer McKenzie is now an assistant professor of special education at Southern Utah University. She has a passion for helping teachers manage challenging student behaviors and teaches both the undergraduate and graduate programs.

“I just absolutely love to teach,” said McKenzie. “I feel like that is my calling and what I was made to do. I have fun coming to work every day and I hope the students get that from me.

McKenzie has a Ph.D. in special education and behavioral disorders, an M.Ed. in secondary administration and a B.A. in elementary and special education. SUU drew her attention for being student-focused. From small decisions to large, she believes the University is doing what is best for the students.

“We’re not going to be able to learn unless we feel like the person teaching us has something relevant to teach, first of all, and then that they care whether they get it or not. I try my best with my students, to let them know that I care about them as individuals.”

McKenzie has taught the following courses at SUU:

• SPED 3030 Educating Exceptional Children
  • SPED 4110 Special Education Law
  • SPED 4120 Applied Behavior Analysis
  • SPED 4130 Curriculum Strategies
  • SPED 4145 Collaboration and Transition
  • SPED 4160 Report Writing
  • SPED 4170 Issues in Special Education
  • SPED 5030 Educating Exceptional Children
  • SPED 5110 Special Education Law
  • SPED 5120 Applied Behavior Analysis
  • SPED 5130 Curriculum Strategies
  • SPED 5145 Collaboration and Transition
  • SPED 5170 Issues in Special Education

“My greatest hope for my students, it sounds cliche I suppose, but its the same thing you would want for your own kids. I want them to be kind, I want them to stand up for others who can’t stand up for themselves, and I always want them to follow their passions.”

SUU offers three pathways to earn a special education teaching license: learn more about the special education program.

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Faculty College of Education and Human Development