First Generation Student Serves as Latinx Alliance President

Posted: October 31, 2019 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 2 minutes

Stacy SotoSouthern Utah University junior Stacy Soto is a first-generation college student from St. George, Utah who loves to serve her community. Soto is looking forward to serving as the president of the Latinx Student Alliance for the 2019-2020 school year.

Soto first got involved with the Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) when looking for a housing scholarship. This connection lead her to join the Latinx Student Alliance (LSA). 

“I had been tight on finances and had been applying to every scholarship I could,” Soto said. “I asked the director of the CDI, Maria Martinez, for some financial resources. This led me to get a housing scholarship through the CDI. It has not just helped me financially, but it also has helped me build connections.”

Soto is very involved on campus. In addition to serving as president of LSA, she is a service leader for the Community Engagement Center, a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success, and a member of Rural Health Scholars

Soto is looking forward to using her service and leadership skills during her time as LSA president.

“Being a first-generation Latina student at a university away from your family has been very hard for me, especially my first year at SUU,” Soto said. “LSA and the CDI have provided me with a home to come to any time I need it, and for everything I need. It has made me happy to be here at SUU and has provided me with relationships that make me want to stay here.”

Soto is majoring in nursing and would like to pursue a master’s degree in neonatal nurse practitioning after graduating from SUU. 

Soto would like the SUU student body to know that having a voice is essential in life. 

“No matter what society says or the boundaries to do so, do your best to keep your voice heard,” said Soto. “The slightest noise can make an impact on someone’s life. You never know who is at the hearing end of your voice. Do it for those who do not have a voice.” 

The Latinx Student Alliance meets Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m. in the CDI. Learn more about the Latinx Student Alliance.

Tags: Rural Health Scholars Center for Diversity and Inclusion