SUU Support Systems

Posted: November 21, 2019 | Author: Savannah Byers | Read Time: 2 minutes

Malachi MorehouseAfter moving to Utah from the small town of Tehachapi, California, Southern Utah University junior Malachi Morehouse decided to get involved on campus by joining the Pride and Equality Club (PAEC).

“I was in GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) in my high school,” said Morehouse. “Back then I wasn’t terribly active in it, so when I came to SUU and found out about the PAEC, I knew that I wanted to join and be more of an active member in the community.”

Morehouse’s gender is trans-non-binary, and sexuality is panromantic asexual. Non-binary individuals don’t identify as strictly male or female, so they use the pronouns they/them as opposed to he/him and she/hers. An LGBTQ+ glossary can be found on the SUU Allies website 

“I can only speak on my own experiences at SUU, but all the teachers and staff are very welcoming,” Morehouse said. “When asked, they try their hardest with using my preferred name and pronouns. I’ve never had any confrontations with other students.”

Morehouse will serve as President for the Pride and Equality Club for the 2019-2020 school year. They are looking forward to meeting new people and raising LGBTQ+ awareness. 

“My main goal this year is reaching out to more people. I want everyone to know they have somewhere to go,” they said. 

They are passionate about the support system both the PAEC and the Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) provide. 

“The CDI’s really helped me because it’s somewhere that I can be absolutely true to myself,” Morehouse continued. “Everyone in the CDI is very welcoming, and I’ve never felt excluded. It’s given me a support system of people that I can talk to if I need someone.” 

Morehouse is majoring in psychology, minoring in family services, and hopes to one day be a counselor for LGBTQ+ youth. They are grateful for the education and opportunities SUU has provided.

PAEC meetings are held in the CDI Thursdays at 6 p.m. and are open to everyone. Learn more about the Pride and Equality club.

Tags: Center for Diversity and Inclusion