Posted: February 04, 2020 | Author: Kierstin Pitcher-Holloway | Read Time: 2 minutes

FAFSA PaperworkYou completed your FAFSA paperwork (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) weeks ago. You should be home free, right? Wrong. Once a student’s FAFSA information is processed it is then submitted to the university, after which students applying for Federal Aid are required to complete additional paperwork through their school. 

It can be frustrating to find out there is yet another form you have to complete, especially when you thought you were finished. To avoid the confusion and added stress, it helps to understand which forms you may be required to submit along with FAFSA paperwork.

“The first thing I would recommend is filling out the FAFSA application by visiting FAFSA,” said SUU's Financial Aid Coordinator Jayson Matlock. “We don’t have a deadline, but the sooner that the application is filled out the better.”

From there, students receiving financial aid for the first time are required to fill out a basic form through the SUU Financial Aid office called the Student Information Form. This form authorizes how financial aid is to be used. 

“In addition, certain groups of students may be selected for FAFSA Verification that assesses whether or not the information they reported on the FAFSA is accurate,” said Matlock. 

For select students, additional forms may need to be filled out. Recently returned missionaries may be required to submit W-2s or submit a Statement of Non-Filing in the Financial Aid Office. In the case of newly married students, if the FAFSA application was filled out before getting married, they should ask the Financial Aid Office about the Marital Status Update. This may help better represent their ability to pay for school. 

Situations are handled on a case-by-case basis and require specific paperwork. Matlock says the best advice he could give students is to check in with the Financial Aid Office and to determine what their next steps are. 

SUU’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and is located in the Sharwan Smith Center, Room 167. Students can also contact the office via phone at (435) 586-7735, or email at finaid@suu.edu

Financial aid counselors are assigned by last name and can be found on the financial aid contact page.

Tags: Student Financial Aid

Related Posts