Frequently Asked Questions

Travel Authorizations must be submitted online. A link is on your portal under Travel or visit the Travel Request form

Budget transfers reallocate budget between organizations that share a common fund.
(e.g.  Fund Code = 000100     Org Code = 66000      Prog Code = 50
and   Fund Code = 000100     Org Code = 67000      Prog Code = 60)

Budget transfers cannot be processed between two different fund codes.
(e.g.  Fund Code = 000100     Org Code = 66000      Prog Code = 60
and   Fund Code = 001050     Org Code = 66000      Prog Code = 60)

Expenditure transfers are correcting entries and should not be used to resolve budget overdrafts. An expenditure transfer is used to move an expense erroneously posted to a particular FOAPAL into the correct FOAPAL.

It is important to note that within the Institutions financial system, available cash does not directly authorize the ability to spend. The ability to spend is determined by the Available Budget Balance for the account. This information can be viewed on-line in Banner Finance by using the "Budget Status by Account Query." See instructions for accessing account status.

Surplus is located in the Facilities Management Buildings, in the old coal room.

Surplus sales are announced on the Surplus Sale Page. If the University cannot make use of items they are sent to the State Surplus Department to be sold/disposed of.

A FOAPAL is an acronym used to identify the components of a programs account number:

F = Fund (Separates cash from other programs)
O = Organization (Separates budget and transactions between organizations or departments)
A = Account (Details individual transactions, e.g. office supplies vs. in-state travel)
P = Program (Identifies the relationship of the program with the University, e.g. instruction vs. academic support)
A = Activity (Identifies transactions associated with predefined activities - not required)
L = Location (Identifies transactions associated with predefined location - not required)

All items that were purchased with University funds MUST be sent to Surplus, if they have any potential value, as per University policy and state of Utah statute. Employees failing to properly dispose of any University property will incur severe consequences. If the item is truly worthless, call Surplus at 435-865-8683 and let them come pick it up.

Items can be obtained by SUU departments can schedule an appointment by emailing The Surplus webpage lists all items available for departments.

Due to the restructuring of the program, the surplus office must be completely self funded. This means that all costs associated with running the program must be first taken from the proceeds earned through the sales. All balances will then be proportionately distributed back to the departments. This will occur once a year, on or about January 1.

When processing the purchase through the Purchasing Department, inform them that you have money in the Surplus Account (971500-66000-70). Tell them how much you have and that you would like to use that money on your current purchase order. Send your Purchase Requisition to Jason in 204A for signature. After obtaining Surplus approval, the money will be available for use.

Call 435-586-5476 for the check distribution window. They can let you know if there is a check there for you. You can also call 435-586-7724 to have someone look up the payee and let you know if and when the check printed. If you are an employee and a check was printed for you, you should receive an e-mail letting you know that the check was printed. If you are waiting for a check that you requested be held for you, you will also receive an e-mail.

An advance of funds for expected travel costs is available for out of pocket expenses exceeding $300 and must be requested with the initial trip request. Students do not qualify. The request must be received by Accounting Services at least seven (7) days prior to the departure date. Any advance amount that exceeds travel expenses must be paid back to the University. Review SUU Policy 10.13.