Photography Takes Business Student to Wondrous Destinations

Posted: May 12, 2017 | Author: Samantha Burfiend | Read Time: 2 minutes

Samantha Amor

Samantha Amor is from the tiny town of Pioche, Nevada, but that’s never stopped this Southern Utah University business major from taking risks and dreaming big. Since coming to SUU, Amor has started her own wedding photography business. The company, Simply Amor, has expanded exponentially, and Amor contributes that to her classes at SUU.

When Amor was younger, she would make her friends dress up, and they would do mini photo shoots in front of a shower curtain with her wind-up camera. Along with those mini photo shoots, Amor said she would always have a stack of Forbes magazines next her bed.

“I loved reading about start up businesses, and how they grew to something great through risks,” said Amor.

According to Amor, she started her business five years ago. However, Amor did not begin implementing the business strategies learned at SUU until about a year ago. After that, she was able to grow her following to 11,000 on Instagram, be published in a magazine, become a preferred photographer for a magazine as well as venues in Utah, and convince beautiful brides to fly her along the West Coast to photograph their big day all while being a full-time student.

Amor said each business class that she has had at SUU has provided golden truths that have directly applied to business. Amor is graduating this spring and is working towards more destination weddings and is looking forward to an upcoming feature in a few top wedding blogs.

“I absolutely love what I do as a wedding photographer, while it gets stressful at times, through my business classes and SUU mentors, I have been able to find mistakes and fix them to make my business more efficient, enjoyable, and profitable,” said Amor. “Once the decorations are taken down, all that remains are the photographs. I couldn't be any more honored to capture those beautiful moments for wonderful couples.”

Amor said Associate Professor Michael Kroff, Assistant Professor Josh Price, Associate Professor Greg Powell, and Associate Professor Tyler Stillman have all been some of her greatest mentors within her business.

Professor Stillman helped her get published in a magazine and in turn, created relationships with wedding industry experts in Utah. He also has helped her to create a high-end brand through hours of mentoring, educating and guidance.

“The professional relationships my professors helped me establish have been incredibly valuable and have helped my business grow,” said Amor. “I have learned so much in my marketing classes and feel confident identifying and understanding my specific market.”

Amor’s ultimate goal is to continue growing and expanding. She wants to continue to be a destination wedding photographer, but she also would love to become an educator to help businesses reach their full potential.

Learn more about SUU's Business Program.

This article was published more than 5 years ago and might contain outdated information or broken links. As a result, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed.

Tags: Management Marketing School of Business Economics